new spin sheets

Five Cubed Skipper

Mar 14, 2023, 4:36:59 PM3/14/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
These are 17 feet in length each- I had them cut so no continuous loop.
& the old sheets are circa 1995 (red and white striped line)
PXL_20230304_151630879.jpg

Rick Paullin

Mar 15, 2023, 7:01:40 AM3/15/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
That doesn't sound like it would be long enough... but am I missing something?  Why two red and two green?
During a jibe, doesn't the lazy sheet need to reach at least 36 feet? (hand-ratchet-transom-forestay-clew)

My continuous spin sheet is about 80 feet long (but it's probably 10-15 feet too long -- I never bothered to cut it).

Five Cubed Skipper

Mar 15, 2023, 8:13:32 AM3/15/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
you're right - sorry they are 34' each. & this is for 2 boats. 125 and 102

Rick Paullin

Mar 16, 2023, 1:29:03 PM3/16/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
Nice!  Both boats should be looking good when they hit the water this spring.  The best part about changing out the old spectra lines is saving the crew's hands when it's really blowing -- the grippy texture of the new covers helps with light air control too.

I really liked using separate red & green spin sheets -- much easier telling new crew which line to pull.  But I ended up switching to a continuous sheet, which has its own pros/cons.  But the switch to a modern lightweight line made the biggest difference, and helped get the chute to slip around the jib a lot easier.