/missing mainsail halyard

spie...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2023, 10:54:53 PM7/3/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
Hi there.  I recently bot a J18 that I just started to rig for the first time.  I was assisted by friends that also have a J18.  We got the mast up and the jib but realized we could not raise the mainsail as I am missing the mainsail halyard [ the wire line with the metal ball on it.  ] I expect I may have to have a replacement part custom made.  Does anyone happen to know the specs for this mainsail halyard.   Thanks so much. Stew Pierce

Chris Herbster

Jul 5, 2023, 7:36:06 PM7/5/23
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
I was going to send  you to https://johnson18.org/specs/#runningrigging, but it says unknown length.  (It does say to use 7x19 3mm wire.)

I'll try to measure mine, but the position of the ball is the important part.  The wire could be a little long, just not too short.  The halyard will have to be swedged while in the mast, so you'll either need tools or have to get a rigger to do it.  There's no way to get a thimble and fitting through the top of the mast.

Chris
176

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Johnson 18 One Design -2021 group. To post to this group, send email to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to johnson-18-one-d...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/johnson-18-one-design?hl=en
---

spie...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2023, 4:27:15 PM7/6/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
Thanks very much for your input.  I was going down this road of figuring out how to custom make a new line, and I just heard back from the seller and apparently he replaced the wire based halyard with an all rope halyard.  To do this he enlarged the pulley at the mast head.  so apparently I need to fish the line down the mast and I will have an all rope halyard system.
Stew Pierce

Kurt Eickhof

Jul 6, 2023, 4:31:01 PM7/6/23
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
For your information, I separated the mast head from the mast and mailed that into Jason at White Bear Boat Works. That way he was able to install the new wire halyards because he knows the specs and can install the bead then you just have to fish the new wire lines down the mast, and I reattach, the cast mast head piece and you’re good to go.

Five Cubed Skipper

Sep 5, 2023, 9:04:11 AM9/5/23
to Johnson 18 One Design -2023
Stew,
I hope you've been able to resolve your main halyard!  I've thought about replacing the sheave (pulley) at the mast head, when I've replaced the rope portion of my combination halyard some years back, but it seemed like too much risk in fiddling with the mast cap, which has the sheave built in.  Plus you will get some stretch in the rope halyard whereas the wire won't stretch virtually at all and you get exact cunningham purchase to flatten out the main. I suppose they make pretty low stretch lines these days, anyway. I'm currious about how you/ former owner cleated the halyard once the main is up.

Let us know how you like the all rope main halyard and send some photos of the mast cap and cleating method if you would.

Thanks,
Brian