In need of a mainsail, what are my options

Hall Smith

Dec 31, 2021, 12:25:54 PM12/31/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Hello all. New owner and new to the group.

I purchased #105 early last year, did some rework and sailed most of the season. Great boat.

My issue is that the main has gone soft, good in light air and I can depower it to a degree, but unable to manage it above 20kt. I need a newer sail.

A new main would be awesome, but I'm not racing and thought I'd at least look for a less than new option. Has anyone tried to recut or refit other sails to use on the J-18? Loads of used beach cat sails out there, but question compatability with non-rotating mast. VXONE is close, but I don't think it will work. Any other options?

Super fun boat, fb video:

Thanks,
Hall

Five Cubed Skipper

Jan 28, 2022, 3:37:08 PM1/28/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Sorry Hall,
there's not much inventory (in existence) for used sails that don't already look like that one! (I lucked out and got out the sail I'd THOUUGHT was blown out 7 years ago- it look LOTS better than the one I was using...)
I really liked the mains that Haarstick built for me, but I'd go with North now for build quality - [ Haarstick got bought by Quantum and is building sails overseas- my jib built by Q had a failed forestay...I was NOT happy.]

-Five Cubed Skipper

Hall Smith

Apr 13, 2022, 2:12:27 PM4/13/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
Can anyone recommend any other sailmaker?

A new main from north would be great, but they are backed up a few months.

Richard Holm

Apr 13, 2022, 2:45:37 PM4/13/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com

JBW offered sails from North Inland and Ullman. Mine are Ullman.

Orion

185

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Johnson 18 One Design -2021 group. To post to this group, send email to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to johnson-18-one-d...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/johnson-18-one-design?hl=en
---

derek mckesson

Apr 13, 2022, 5:18:13 PM4/13/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com