Automated Bike Leasing Program at Johns Hopkins

Rob McPherson

Oct 17, 2016, 2:30:35 PM10/17/16
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Hi Everyone,

My name is Rob McPherson with a local company called Baas Bikes.

We've built a system to automate the process of college students leasing bikes while they are at school.  Through our app and locking hardware, students can test ride bikes that are locked directly outside of their dorm or housing (similar to a bike share station - except there is no new infrastructure needed), and if they like it, they can opt to rent it long term (month, semester, or full year).  As the bikes get leased, we can put more bikes out to meed demand.

We've found this approach much more popular than traditional bikeshare in a college setting, because it guarantees a bike's availability (and location) to students when they need it, a common problem bikeshare experiences.  And the advantages over buying a bike are the low monthly payments and insurance we can provide.

In addition to managing a lease program, we can also help with the abandonment problem at the end of every semester or year.  Those bikes get locked up with our technology, and then can be resold through our app automatically.

I figured I would post this here in hopes of finding the best person at Johns Hopkins to speak with.  If anybody likes this idea and wants to help, please let know.

Thanks so much,
Rob
Message has been deleted