Bike Parking on JHU campus

Erin Burk

Sep 19, 2015, 9:23:22 AM9/19/15
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
HI - I'll be starting a new job next month on the Homewood campus and can't find any details online about bike parking. Can someone shed some light on the availability of bike racks/locations and if you feel they are safe? Also, does the university provide any covered/indoor bike parking options? Thanks!

Penny Troutner

Sep 19, 2015, 9:38:40 AM9/19/15
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erin,

It is not a huge campus, but it still might help to know just which buildings you will be using.

thx........Penny

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Erin Burk <erin...@gmail.com> wrote:
HI - I'll be starting a new job next month on the Homewood campus and can't find any details online about bike parking. Can someone shed some light on the availability of bike racks/locations and if you feel they are safe? Also, does the university provide any covered/indoor bike parking options? Thanks!

LIGHT STREET CYCLES
1124 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
http://www.lightstcycles.com
410-685-2234

Erin Burk

Sep 19, 2015, 9:57:38 AM9/19/15
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Penny - I'll be stationed in Shriver Hall and using the gymnasium as well.

Erin Burk

Sep 19, 2015, 10:48:47 PM9/19/15
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com

I rode up there today and saw plenty of outdoor bike parking, which is great, but does anyone know if there are covered spots as well?

reid mumford

Sep 19, 2015, 11:28:34 PM9/19/15
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Erin,

There are some covered bike racks under the Muller Deck parking garage that is on San Martin Drive across the street from the Space Telescope building.

This wouldn't be too far away from the rec center/gymnasium.
Many of us who regularly commute to Homewood end up bringing our bicycles into our offices and labs.    It doesn't sound like this would be an option for you?...

Reid

Erin Burk

Sep 19, 2015, 11:56:09 PM9/19/15
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Reid,

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if bringing my bike into the building will be acceptable and I want to talk to my boss first about it (I start next month). It's just good to know all of my options beforehand. I've read other threads here about security asking folks not to bring their bikes inside, but I think that was at the medical campus. Is it generally more relaxed at the university?

reid mumford

Sep 21, 2015, 11:17:33 AM9/21/15
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erin,

I've never had any problems with bringing bicycles in or out of my building (Physics).   There are several of us who bring our bikes inside.    The security officers do the same with their bikes for that matter.

Reid

Alistair Morrison

Jan 23, 2017, 1:19:30 PM1/23/17
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Hi All,

I started at Homewood campus in December at the Eisenhower Library where it is forbidden to bring bikes inside. I've spent a bit of time in Amsterdam where employers often have locked, covered bike sheds for staff. I'd personally like to see something similar here at JHU, perhaps a caged area inside a garage or next to a parking lot that can only be accessed with a J-Card. Is anyone interested in pursuing this with me?

Alistair Morrison

Penny Troutner

Jan 23, 2017, 4:15:17 PM1/23/17
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com, craige...@gmail.com, Liz Cornish
Just forwarding this to the Baltimore bicycle advocacy group, in case someone in their circle can help.

Penny

Message has been deleted

reid mumford

Jan 24, 2017, 8:59:53 AM1/24/17
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
I don't park there ever, but I believe that there is a bike rack in the South Garage (under the Decker Quad).    The parking is covered, but it isn't lockable beyond your own lock (I would guess that the security for the garage is probably pretty good though).

Reid

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Fran Horan <franh...@gmail.com> wrote:
If an existing covered option is not found, and you want to lobby facilities for some solution, I thought you could use the attached example of the covered rack we have at JHU APL Building 200. It is a Dero Space Saver Rack.

If your facilities person wants a contact here for details about it, I can get one.

Thanks,

Fran Horan
JHU/APL

Alistair Morrison

Jan 24, 2017, 9:27:28 AM1/24/17
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
bike_shed.jpegThanks Fran and Reid,

The South Garage is probably my best short-term option. I am going to contact the Transportation office to see whether they are willing to work on a better solution. Here's a picture of the kind of secure shed I think would be a good. It could be combined with the space-saver rack that Fran suggested.

Alistair

Alistair Morrison

Fran Horan

Jan 24, 2017, 11:16:32 AM1/24/17
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
The one objection I heard to the space save rack was in regards to bike weight: "what if my bike is too heavy for me to lift up and hang it?". We recommend "then just lock it to a vertical support." There are limited vertical support spots available.

So, for personal commuter bikes, this hanging rack works really well. For heavy bikeshare bikes or eBikes, probably not going to work.

Thanks,

Fran

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM reid mumford <reid.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't park there ever, but I believe that there is a bike rack in the South Garage (under the Decker Quad).    The parking is covered, but it isn't lockable beyond your own lock (I would guess that the security for the garage is probably pretty good though).

Reid

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Fran Horan <franh...@gmail.com> wrote:
If an existing covered option is not found, and you want to lobby facilities for some solution, I thought you could use the attached example of the covered rack we have at JHU APL Building 200. It is a Dero Space Saver Rack.

If your facilities person wants a contact here for details about it, I can get one.

Thanks,

Fran Horan
JHU/APL

Alistair Morrison

Jason Mathias

Jan 25, 2017, 11:45:02 AM1/25/17
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Alistair,

Would you keep me in the loop with your discussions with Transportation, and if I can help in any way, let me know. Thanks,

Jason

Jason Mathias
Sustainability Coordinator
Johns Hopkins University

Alistair Morrison

Jan 26, 2017, 10:10:43 AM1/26/17
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Thanks Jason. I'm copying you in on my email to Parking/Transportation. Will keep you in the loop. If you have a better contact in Transportation than the generic email address please let me know.

Alistair

Alistair Morrison