Best route from Homewood to East Baltimore campus?

Robbie Flick

Jun 17, 2018, 3:32:56 PM6/17/18
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Hi Everyone,

I have a fairly ambitious bike commute from the county that I'm hoping to do at least a few times a month (more if time allows) on an e-bike. I tested it out over the weekend and got to Homewood via Charles and Roland. But from there, it got a bit trickier. It's fairly easy to get to the Jones Falls trail, however this trail is basically a sidewalk with some sketchy road crossings, and is rather slow.

Is there a better way to get between the two campuses that I'm missing? Strava heatmap and Google Maps suggest that taking St. Paul to 25th and down Bonaparte to link up with Broadway might be an option, but I wanted to check with this group first to see if there's an obvious route between the two that I missed. Thanks!

Best,

Robbie

JR Johnstone

Jun 18, 2018, 5:33:12 AM6/18/18
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
My preferred route between the two campuses is using the cycle track on Maryland Ave. From there, your main West to East streets are: Monument, Chase, and Biddle. Hopefully, the Downtown Bike network will be completed by end of summer 2018 and it will have a protected cycle track on Monument.

Very best,
JR

Max Romano

Jun 18, 2018, 6:34:31 AM6/18/18
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
I usually take 25th to Bonaparte/Broadway on my way to JHMI then come home by Madison to Greenmount to Preston to Guilford.

Sincerely, Max

Robbie Flick

Jun 18, 2018, 8:34:35 PM6/18/18
to johns-hopkins-...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks JR and Max for the recs. I didn't realize Maryland Ave had such a great cycling lane. I'll try both of these out on my next attempt. Appreciate it!

Best,

Robbie

Rose Weeks

Apr 10, 2019, 1:20:04 PM4/10/19
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Hi Robbie,
Just following up to make sure you saw that there is now a cycle track on Centre/Monument Street that connects the Maryland Cycle Track to the JHMI campus. It's great!

Rose Weeks