Racks on JHMI Shuttles?

Alyssa Florwick

May 29, 2017, 11:45:17 AM5/29/17
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
New to commuter biking. Would like to just bike to the shuttle, but would prefer not to leave the bike locked up all day. Do the shuttles have racks now?

Jason Mathias

May 30, 2017, 1:42:45 PM5/30/17
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Sorry, but the shuttles don't have racks.

Leah Weston

May 30, 2017, 3:15:36 PM5/30/17
to Johns Hopkins Bike Commuters
Welcome to the joys of bike commuting! Re: the racks, it's both surprising and disappointing to me that the shuttles don't have racks. It seems like installing them would make bike commuting much more feasible for many people who are in a similar position as you.

I've started asking around to gather more information on why the shuttles are not equipped with racks. It sounds like the issue cycles through to the transportation office every year or so but they are reluctant to do anything about it. I'm a medical student and recently brought the issue up with our medical student senate representatives to see what they can do about it, but I have a feeling that it might take some more widespread organization from multiple groups across JHU/JHMI.

I can update as we learn more, but for now, does anyone on this forum have more information on the history of the issue here? Any tips on who to talk to and what type of strategy might work best to finally get them installed?