"Call to Jobber timed out." error?

Hippo Man

May 10, 2020, 9:57:57 AM5/10/20
to Jobber
I have recently started using jobber on my Ubuntu 18.4 machine to run some jobs that previously ran with no problem under cron.

However, when one of those jobs starts up, I can no longer run any jobber commands. Every jobber command that I try hangs, and then after a while, it prints "Call to Jobber timed out." This includes invocations of jobber list, jobber log, jobber pause, and all other jobber commands.

Most jobs don't cause this to occur, but one job which reliably causes this problem is when I run a program called "luckyBackup", which is a front end to an rsync-based backup. I run that job once a day in order to back up my machine to a filesystem on a mounted USB drive. That job caused no ill effects when it ran under cron, but for some reason, it consistently causes Jobber commands to hang and time out when it is running.

Has anyone seen such an error with Jobber, and if so, can anyone suggest a fix?

Thank you in advance.

C. Dylan Shearer

May 10, 2020, 5:06:42 PM5/10/20
to Hippo Man, Jobber
Hi,

I have seen this before. I think the problem is that the threads that should be handling your commands are blocked on the long-running job, for some reason. I hope to fix this soon.

If you haven’t already, could you please open a bug?

Dylan

Hippo Man

May 10, 2020, 5:16:49 PM5/10/20
to Jobber
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 5:06:42 PM UTC-4, C. Dylan Shearer wrote:
Hi,

I have seen this before. I think the problem is that the threads that should be handling your commands are blocked on the long-running job, for some reason. I hope to fix this soon.

If you haven’t already, could you please open a bug?

Dylan

Thank you for this!

I'll figure out how to submit a bug, and then I will do so.

Hippo Man

May 12, 2020, 11:45:50 PM5/12/20
to Jobber
I hit upon what might turn out to be the cause of this problem. Check out my comment here in the discussion of issue #283 ...

Hippo Man

May 13, 2020, 5:19:50 PM5/13/20
to Jobber
... and I think that I *might* have solved the problem with what I describe here:

Hippo Man

May 15, 2020, 11:46:13 AM5/15/20
to Jobber
... but now I'm not sure whether this really fixed it. Now I have more info about when the problem seems to occur.

If a long-running jobber-initiated job is in progress, I can do a` jobber list` with no problem. However, if during the course of that job running, I modify `~/.jobber` and re-run `jobber reload`, that's when I am still noticing that the program hangs. I'm not sure if that happens all the time under those circumstances, because I don't have time for in-depth testing at the moment. But this might provide more useful info for diagnosing the problem.

Hippo Man

May 15, 2020, 3:14:12 PM5/15/20
to Jobber

... and see this latest comment in the "issues" list:  https://github.com/dshearer/jobber/issues/283#issuecomment-629426637