Queries on jobber

priya v

Sep 18, 2017, 12:36:16 PM9/18/17
to Jobber
Hi,

I'm planning to use jobber as a replacement of cron for one of my projects. I had few questions regarding the same :

1. I'm guessing jobber takes care of scheduling and makes use of daemonize to daemonize the jobber process and that jobber doesn't depend on OS level scheduler for scheduling purposes. Is my understanding correct?

2. Is there an alternative to daemonize?

3. I initially faced some issues with registering jobber witth systemd. Since the jobber wasn't getting registered, I tried bringing up using the jobberd command. On executing the command, I saw the following error message :

"failed to load jobs for open /dev/null/.jobber: not a directory: tss"

I see that there is a bug open for this - https://github.com/dshearer/jobber/issues/81

Despite this bug being there, I could get jobber working. Are there any side effects of this bug that I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Priya

priya v

Sep 19, 2017, 1:10:09 AM9/19/17
to Jobber
Hi,

Can someone please reply to this email? Your reply is crucial for me to proceed with using jobber in my project.

Thanks,
Priya

Charles Dylan Shearer

Sep 20, 2017, 2:21:17 PM9/20/17
to priya v, Jobber
Hi Priya,

1. I’m not quite sure what you’re asking.  Yes, jobber runs as a daemon, and this daemon uses the system clock to know when to run jobs.  The jobs run as child processes.  The OS scheduler is not used to know when to launch jobs, but it certainly must take care of running the main jobber process and the job processes, as it must with any other process.

2 & 3. I don’t know if there’s an alternative to daemonize, but you mention systemd, and you don’t need daemonize when you have systemd.  What OS are you using?  Did you use any of the jobber binary packages to install it?

You can ignore that error message.  It is not really a bug — it’s just a spurious error message.

Regards,
Dylan