Can jobberd be started as a non root user

Ranjith Kumar

May 12, 2018, 4:31:51 AM5/12/18
to Jobber
Hi, I am using jobber on RHEL OS, being new to jobber and I did some study on the internet on "how to use" sections of jobber and understood that jobber binaries jobber and jobberd shall have group root access and jobber shall be owned by the os user jobber_clinet, my question here is,

1. Can we use jobber completely as non privileged user (other than root), I am okay to have other system users having no access to jobber.
2. Can we eliminate the non-login OS user jobber_client by any way.

Any help on this would be a great help!!

Thanks!

C. Dylan Shearer

May 20, 2018, 3:08:17 AM5/20/18
to Ranjith Kumar, Jobber
Hi Ranjith,

Sorry for the late response.

Indeed, the answer to both questions is “yes” as of Jobber 1.3.  With this version, each user gets its own daemon (jobberrunner), and there is no jobber_client user.

Normally, the daemon jobbermaster runs as root and spawns all the per-user jobberrunner instances.  If you don’t want that to happen, you can manually launch jobberrunner for whatever user you want.  When you run jobberrunner, pass the path to the jobfile as an argument.

Dylan

Ranjith Kumar

May 20, 2018, 7:43:30 AM5/20/18
to Jobber
Hi Dylan,

Thank you for the reply.

Your answer is a great help for me, I was actually working with 1.2, will start with 1.3 soon, thanks again.

Best Regards,
Ranjith M