[Joan of Arc] Joan Crowns Charles VII Anniversary

poetbdk

Jul 17, 2012, 7:18:00 AM7/17/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
On July 17, 1429, Joan of Arc fulfilled her primary mission to have Charles VII crowned and anointed as  King of all France. Joan had predicted that she would lead Charles to his crowing in Reims when she had begun her mission only a few months earlier. What had seemed impossible to everyone except Joan occurred that summer day in late July of 1429 in the Cathedral of Reims when Charles VII was crowned King of France. All the French people loyal to Charles rejoiced as echoed by Christine de Pisan in her famous epic poem The Song of Joan of Arc:

"Now let us welcome our King!
Rejoice at his return from his fall,
overjoyed at the site of his splendor.
Let us all both great and small
step forward to greet him-no one
hold back-salute him with joyful face.
Praising God who has been so kind
let shouts of "Noel!" fill the place."

Christine’s poem was finished shortly after Charles VII was crowned in Reims and reflects the national sentiments toward Joan of Arc at that time and is well worth reading to better understand the huge impact that this event had upon the people of France. An English translation is available online at MaidOfHeaven.com at
The Song of Joan of Arc by Christine de Pisan

You can also learn more about the coronation and the city of Reims by visiting this page at MaidOfHeaven.comt:
Joan of Arc & Reims

--
Posted By poetbdk to Joan of Arc at 7/17/2012 04:18:00 AM

John Early

Jul 17, 2012, 7:08:12 PM7/17/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friend at Joan-of-arc-maid,

You always do good work, so I call your attention to a small mistake in this English language rendering.  You had written:
" …….. Charles to his crowing in Reims … ".  It is "crowning", of course.

A proofreader, I catch things like this.  If I were you, I would not slash your wrist)s) over something like this.

John

John Early

John Borra

Jul 17, 2012, 11:03:26 PM7/17/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps he did crow!!!

JB

John Early

Jul 18, 2012, 9:46:10 AM7/18/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
You might well be right, John.  I sit corrected.  Charles was infantile enough to do that.
He dropped Joan like a plaything he had outgrown seemingly moments later, that is for sure.

JE

Ben D. Kennedy

Jul 18, 2012, 11:44:25 AM7/18/12
to Joan of Arc Maid
John-

Good catch, I always appreciate the help and have edited it.

Ben

John Early

Jul 18, 2012, 4:55:25 PM7/18/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
Well, John Borra wrote the following about that same typo:

On Jul 17, 2012, at 11:03 PM, John Borra wrote:

Perhaps he did crow!!!

JB

So I wrote back:

You might well be right, John.  I sit corrected.  Charles was infantile enough to do that.
He dropped Joan like a plaything he had outgrown seemingly moments later, that is for sure.

JE

John Borra

Jul 18, 2012, 8:19:20 PM7/18/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com

Joan's experience offers a lesson for those of us who have higher ideals. I recall those occasions when certain politicians, having claimed to be pro-life, received my support, then turned out to vote for anti-life legislation.  Supporters are often discarded once aspiring leaders take their seats, whether in Paris or in DC.

JB

John Early

Jul 18, 2012, 8:54:15 PM7/18/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
G.W. Bush supposedly was, or is, pro-life.  In 2000, I was in DC at St. Michael's RC church, off Dupont Circle, when I heard Archbishop McCarrick tell us congregants we had to vote for (Bush) since he was pro-life.  A good Catholic, I did so, despite grave misgivings.  In 2004, when I read the same thing from the same person in the DC magazine, I voted for Bush's opponent, also despite misgivings.  I don't think I need to explain further to you either decision.

Sir William ("Braveheart") Wallace was seemingly like Joan.  Both were true heroes of their respective countries.

JE

David P Rundle

Jul 19, 2012, 12:18:38 AM7/19/12
to joan-of-...@googlegroups.com
I, too, voted for Bush in 2000. But it was out of disgust with the Clintons.

I, too, voted for Bush in 2000. But it was out of disgust with the Clintons.