jni4net, mono, linux, oh my

Eric Kolotyluk

Mar 16, 2018, 7:43:26 PM3/16/18
to jni4net

It's been a long time since I used jni4net, and I have a new application in mind. I was wondering if it's feasible...

  1. Does jni4net work with mono?
  2. Will it work in a Linux environment?

The application I have in mind is in gaming:

  • A front-end running Unity/Mono on whatever platform
  • A back-end running Java/Kotlin/Scala on Linux, calling C#/Mono
  • Common core modules written in C#, callable from Unity and JVM.

Is this a possible solution?

Cheers, Eric

Pavel Šavara

Mar 19, 2018, 4:53:55 AM3/19/18
to jni4net
Hi Eric,

the current runtime doesn't work on Linux.

The reason is calling convention.
The implementation which works on windows actually works by accident in some scenarios.

Details here
So fixing it would be good. That could unblock porting to mono or .NET core.

Are you interested to do works ?

Thanks
Pavel

Eric Kolotyluk

Mar 19, 2018, 10:30:53 AM3/19/18
to jni...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for answering, and pointing me to the details.

If I get hired by the company I am hoping to work for, I might be interested in doing some work on this, if they like the approach I am considering.

Cheers, Eric

Mikhail Raznitsin

Apr 15, 2019, 10:06:41 AM4/15/19
to jni4net
I`ve read a lot about Jni4Net, and I know that it does not support Mono on Linux.
Do you know anyone who was able to launch even simpliest project on mono?
Is there a way to write C# part with some kind of limitations or change the Jni4Net itself to make it work on Linux?