Release 5.10.0

Matthias Bläsing

Nov 8, 2021, 2:43:55 PM11/8/21
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

the 5.10.0 release of JNA is done.

The upload to maven central is currently in progress. It can take some time till the downloads are available:

Features

Bug Fixes

Thanks to all contributors!

Matthias

Daniel B. Widdis

Nov 8, 2021, 3:13:07 PM11/8/21
to Java Native Access
Thanks for the release!  Can you clarify the AIX compatibility of this release?  You mentioned inability to build; does that impact this release or is it just a potential problem for future releases?

(Specifically, if my project supports AIX, should I continue to use 5.9.0 as a dependency?)

Dan Widdis

Matthias Bläsing

Nov 8, 2021, 3:32:02 PM11/8/21
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Am Montag, dem 08.11.2021 um 12:12 -0800 schrieb Daniel B. Widdis:
> Thanks for the release!  Can you clarify the AIX compatibility of
> this release?  You mentioned inability to build; does that impact
> this release or is it just a potential problem for future releases?
> (Specifically, if my project supports AIX, should I continue to use
> 5.9.0 as a dependency?)

libffi was bumped to 3.4.2. All previously supported architectures were
rebuild, apart from AIX. I used to build on polarhome, but there the
harddisk died and thus the system became inaccessible.

At this point this should be ok, but I did not run tests on AIX (this
is true for many releases now) and the update of libffi did then not
happen for AIX. Should the native interface change, AIX will be left in
the dust.

To make this clear: If anyone requires support for a certain
architecture, he should provide a system, where the native library can
be rebuild on demand. At this point, the only save architectures are:

- Windows x86 and x64 testable, ARM64 buildable
- Linux in all variants runnable in a debian based qemu chroot
- Free and OpenBSD in their x86 and x64 variants
- All Android variants
- mac OS as long as it still supported on x64, after that it will decay

These are the systems I own and can reproducibly setup. Everything else
depends on outside systems, which might or might not be available.

Solaris is currently ok in all four variants sparc 32+64, x86 32+64,
but as seen AIX went away.

Hope that clears it up

Matthias

Daniel B. Widdis

Nov 8, 2021, 5:18:38 PM11/8/21
to Java Native Access
Thanks, that makes it clear.

So it appears there is still the same native bits in AIX binary as there were in 5.9.0; it missed the latest libffi update and may miss any future libffi updates.  It would therefore make no difference to upgrade my dependency.

I agree with you that anyone needing AIX support should provide a build environment.

Dan Widdis