Getting exception org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException and not getting response from XMPP server while login using JMeter

Nitish Kumar

Sep 11, 2022, 2:26:06 PM9/11/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hi,

I am using XMPP server (openfire 4.7.3) and able to connect - login - disconnect using client application Spark 2.9.4 .

In JMeter I am able to connect and disconnect to XMPP server (openfire 4.7.3), but while login I am getting the below error in JMeter :

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException
    at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketCollector.nextResultOrThrow(PacketCollector.java:191)
    at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketCollector.nextResultOrThrow(PacketCollector.java:175)
    at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.bindResourceAndEstablishSession(XMPPConnection.java:535)
    at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.login(XMPPTCPConnection.java:260)
    at com.blazemeter.jmeter.xmpp.actions.Login.perform(Login.java:51)
    at com.blazemeter.jmeter.xmpp.JMeterXMPPSampler.sample(JMeterXMPPSampler.java:57)
    at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.doSampling(JMeterThread.java:622)
    at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.executeSamplePackage(JMeterThread.java:546)
    at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.processSampler(JMeterThread.java:486)
    at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:253)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have tried by increasing the timeout to 16 minutes that is 1000000 milliseconds.
I have also added  sasl.mechanism=PLAIN  in my jmeter's "bin/user.properties" file .
I have also tried by replacing the smack-core-4.0.7.jar and smck-tcp-4.0.7.jar library with smack-core-4.1.3.jar .

JMeter plugin used for XMPP ->   jmeter-plugins-xmpp-1.5.1.jar

None of the above solutions are working for me and I am stuck with my script creation .
It would be a great help If anyone can provide the steps to resolve this issue in JMeter.

Thanks,
Nitish Kumar

Sumanth Kalluri

Jan 16, 2023, 2:27:41 PM1/16/23
to jmeter-plugins
hello,
I am also using similar versions of openfire and spark and facing the same issue. And after further debugging I realised that the JMeter during the authentication, uses STARTTLS, however the local Openfire xmpp server that I am using is http and doesn't use SSL. I have tried disabling SSL by adding server.rmi.ssl.disable=true to my jmeter.properties and user.properties file, yet it still uses STARTTLS during authentication. How can I change it to SASL?
If you have resolved this or have any solution for my problem, please let me know

Thanks.