Parallel Controller Timing and other questions

Philippe Mouawad

Jan 26, 2018, 11:14:59 AM1/26/18
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andrei, Artem,
I am testing Parallel Controller currently and have few questions:
  • How are timings computed ?
    • It seems it cumulates the children response times
    • Shouldn't it  instead use the Max ?
  • TC and PC are mentioned as incompatible, but I suppose the issue is only if we have TC child of PC and not TC child of PC. Am I correct ?
  • In parallelSampler, I see no limit on the number of thread that can be started by PC, IMO to be realistic, this should not exceed for 1 VU max number of connections a browser establishes no ?

Thanks for your answers and for this component.

Regards
Philippe M.

artem....@blazemeter.com

Jan 29, 2018, 5:08:00 AM1/29/18
to jmeter-plugins
Hello Philippe

1) This is the time that takes for the execution of all internal elements in parallel. We set startTime to ParallelSampler here: https://github.com/Blazemeter/jmeter-bzm-plugins/blob/master/parallel/src/main/java/com/blazemeter/jmeter/controller/ParallelSampler.java#L87
and set end time in line 104.

2) Transaction Controller is a very specific element in JMeter, that have special cases in the JMeter Core and these cases usually conflicted with plugins architecture. When I tested compatibility of TC and PC I found the following issues.
https://github.com/Blazemeter/jmeter-bzm-plugins/blob/master/parallel/Parallel.md#roadmap
As you could see, if PC is a child of TC it also has the issue.

3) ParallelSampler extends HTTPSamplerBase and it means that ParallelSampler has the same limits and aslo it can be configure with the same jmeter.properties.

Thanks,
Artem

пятница, 26 января 2018 г., 19:14:59 UTC+3 пользователь PMD написал:
Message has been deleted

Andrey Pokhilko

Feb 1, 2018, 8:01:29 AM2/1/18
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com

3) Parallel Controller provides user with choice how to parallel things, but number of child objects. It has no logic except "take all of your child objects and create thread for each of them to execute in parallel". It has no goal to be browser-like or to download embedded resources realistically. It has simple purpose of doing things in parallel. If you want specific number of parallel threads - just specify that number of child objects.

Andrey Pokhilko

31.01.2018 20:29, PMD пишет:
Hello Artem,
Thanks for your answers.

1) OK
2) OK, maybe doc should be more explicit then ?
3) HttpSampler handles Parallel downloads of resources more realistically I think as it limits per VUs the number of parallel downloads, it's not the case for ParallelController AFAIU:

Regards

Philippe M.

@philmdot

@ubikloadpack

Philippe Mouawad

Feb 1, 2018, 2:48:44 PM2/1/18
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andrey,
Wouldn't it be simpler to have as much children as you want and a numeric field specifying how much  calls are done in parallel ?

Regards

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Andrey Pokhilko

Feb 2, 2018, 9:06:01 AM2/2/18
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com

THis could be another approach. But it puts onto user one more thing to think of. And any it does not make it to behave more like browser, because in browser the parallelism is per-host.

Andrey Pokhilko

Asanke Galgomuwa

May 14, 2021, 10:10:44 AM5/14/21
to jmeter-plugins
Do we have a  fix to the case;

2) Transaction Controller is a very specific element in JMeter, that have special cases in the JMeter Core and these cases usually conflicted with plugins architecture. When I tested compatibility of TC and PC I found the following issues.
https://github.com/Blazemeter/jmeter-bzm-plugins/blob/master/parallel/Parallel.md#roadmap
As you could see, if PC is a child of TC it also has the issue.

I have

Transaction Controller (Generate Parent Sample Checked)
  |----> bzm @ parallel controller (Generate Parent Sample Checked)
            | ---> Bunch of child samples need to run parallel

The timing of the bzm@parallel controller is way too higher than the timings of the child samplers ( not even matches the total of them)

I use jmeter 5.2.1 , parallel controller 0.11

Any fix to it yet ???

Thanks

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.