HTTP Simple Table server background start

Damien Aiello

Apr 19, 2022, 5:28:12 AM4/19/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hi there,

Did someone found a way to start STS as a background script (like in a kubernetes pod) ?

Damien

DT

Apr 19, 2022, 7:07:19 AM4/19/22
to jmeter-plugins
As per documentation you can start it in 2 modes:
  1. As a standalone Java application: simple-table-server.cmd -DjmeterPlugin.sts.addTimestamp=true -DjmeterPlugin.sts.datasetDirectory=D:/jmeter/dataset
  2. Or start it together with JMeter by adding the next line to user.properties file (lives in "bin" folder of your JMeter installation): jmeterPlugin.sts.loadAndRunOnStartup=true. The property can also be provided via -J command-line argument like jmeter -JjmeterPlugin.sts.loadAndRunOnStartup=true

If you go for point 1 refer to your operating system documentation for launching command-line applications in background

Vincent Daburon

Apr 19, 2022, 7:21:18 AM4/19/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hi,
Just a  clarification, the Http Simple Table Server standalone look in the jmeter.properties not in the user.properties

Regards.
Vincent DAB.

Damien Aiello

Apr 20, 2022, 4:39:46 AM4/20/22
to jmeter-plugins
Whenever I use "nohup" or "&" (or both) it starts well but immediatly stops .. as if I pressed the enter key.
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, the jmeter.properties file contains the right entries and I'm using the #1 method ..

Damien

Vincent Daburon

Apr 22, 2022, 9:15:21 AM4/22/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hi,
The simple table server is started with
in the <JMETER_HOME>/bin
./simple-table-server.sh

And to stop the simple table server <ENTER> key or this url http://host:port/sts/STOP

You can't start the sts with
nohup ./simple-table-server.sh &
because there is no more stdin to enter key => like you enter the <ENTER> key to finish the STS

I could add a new feature to accept the nohup.

Regards.
Vincent DAB.

DT

Apr 23, 2022, 2:06:53 AM4/23/22
to jmeter-plugins
Really?

nohup ./ ./simple-table-server.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Damien Aiello

May 4, 2022, 5:25:10 AM5/4/22
to jmeter-plugins
Well it would be very nice to be able to start it in the background.
I'm trying to make it works in a kubernetes pod, but even with the trick from DT it doesn't stay up ..

DT

May 4, 2022, 7:11:09 AM5/4/22
to jmeter-plugins
If it doesn't necessarily have to be STS you can consider switching to Redis Data Set Config, there is an official Redis image which can be kicked off in k8s in a couple of seconds, data can be controlled in the runtime, etc.

Vincent Daburon

May 23, 2022, 3:38:27 AM5/23/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hi,

I add the new feature to the Http Simple Table Server 3.1 with daemon parameter.
jmeterPlugin.sts.daemon=true
This daemon parameter is usefull for nohup linux command like "nohup ./simple-table-server.sh &"

Documentation at :

New feature : Could load files when the STS startup
New feature : Set the charset to read/write files
New feature : CONFIG command to display the current STS configuration

Regards.
Vincent DAB.