Flatpak-JMeter Plugins Manager: change plugin install path

Pau Rodriguez-Estivill

Sep 11, 2022, 5:46:55 AM9/11/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hello,

I'm trying to facilitate the distribution of JMeter using Flatpak:

But in my tests I'm facing problems with JMeter Plugins Manager unable to install plugins in a folder different than JMETER_HOME/lib, and in Flatpak this folder is a readonly filesystem.

It would be nice if JMeter Plugins Manager install the plugins relative to its own installation folder.

Alternatively please add a system property set by the flatpak wrapper so that JMeter Plugins Manager knows where it can install the plugins.

Thanks in advance,

Pau

Dmitri T

Sep 11, 2022, 10:02:26 AM9/11/22
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com
  1. user.classpath property can be used instead of  JMETER_HOME/lib
  2. search_paths  property can be used instead of JMETER_HOME/lib/ext
  3. If a piece of software calling itself JMeter Plugins Manager
    • tries to install plugins into "lib" folder instead of "lib/ext"
    • doesn't respect these properties

            you need to reach its developers and/or maintainers and ask them to start doing this via jmeter-plugins support forum

More information:

Andrey Pokhilko

Sep 11, 2022, 5:08:22 PM9/11/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hi Pau,
Here's PR I have prepared to address your request: https://github.com/undera/jmeter-plugins-manager/pull/64

Will you be able to test your setup against that variant of pmgr to make sure it works like you expect?
--
Andrey

воскресенье, 11 сентября 2022 г. в 10:46:55 UTC+1, Pau Rodriguez-Estivill:

Pau Rodriguez-Estivill

Sep 12, 2022, 10:51:39 AM9/12/22
to jmeter-plugins
Hello Andrey,

Thanks, but I tried your branch and it keeps failing trying to install it into the JMETER_HOME.

If you want to try without flatpak you can try to set all JMETER_HOME without write permissions set search_paths and user.classpath.

Here is an example:
chmod a-w "$JMETER_HOME/lib/ext" "$JMETER_HOME/lib"
mkdir -p "${HOME}/.local/share/jmeter/lib/ext"
"${JMETER_HOME}/bin/jmeter" -J "search_paths=${HOME}/.local/share/jmeter/lib/ext" -J "user.classpath=${HOME}/.local/share/jmeter/lib"

And I copied the new build plugin here:  "${HOME}/.local/share/jmeter/lib/ext/jmeter-plugins-manager-1.8.jar".

Any ideas why it is not working?

Thanks in advance,

Pau

Andrei Pokhilko

Sep 12, 2022, 11:06:38 AM9/12/22
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com

Pau,

In the PR, I did exactly what you asked for: use plugins manager JAR location for determining the place to write the libs.

I'm not familiar with Flatpak and have not much spare time to work on this. As suggested above, probably you can manipulate some search paths for JMeter to have a specific writeable place where plugins manager would reside, together with plugins.

The way JMeter works requres plugins manager to be placed into searchable location, I cannot change that.

You have the source code of the branch, you can experiment with it and do your custom builds of plugins manager.

Good luck!

--

Andrey