Remote terminal connection to application started from Eclipse IDE

gibelium

Mar 5, 2019, 9:40:14 AM3/5/19
to jline-users
Hi JLine users,

I just started to get in touch with JLine 3 Terminal and I am quite impressed. Thank you for the awesome work..!!

I read and also verified by my own basic tests that within the eclipse IDE JLine will fall back to a 'dump' terminal as it cannot access the system terminal, if I understood the background correctly.

We are working in an OSGi context so I started utilizing the org.apache.felix.gogo.jline bundle which basically works pretty well when starting the application from a system terminal. To support our development team I would also like to provide a fully functional gogo/jline terminal (not the dump one) when starting the application from eclipse. I wonder if it's possible to start a ssh deamon (same as sshd within jline console) programatically within the application and connecting to it via a remote terminal instance started from the system console. Is this or something similar possible in general and are there any proposals, best practices or even an example how to achieve that?

Any ideas and hints are highly appreciated...
Thank you very much...

Guillaume Nodet

Mar 5, 2019, 9:44:03 AM3/5/19
to jline...@googlegroups.com
Eclipse has plugins that runs real terminals, I think it would be easier to use than creating a remote connection.
I don't really use Eclipse, so I'm not 100% sure.

gibelium

Mar 6, 2019, 9:55:01 AM3/6/19
to jline-users
Thank you for your quick answer. I guess I was a bit imprecise in my initial post.

What I'd like to know is how I can start a JLine ssh server implicitly when the gogo.jline bundle is started.

Brad Wood

Jun 21, 2019, 1:45:35 AM6/21/19
to jline...@googlegroups.com
Gibelium, did you ever make any progress on this?  I've been curious about the same sort of thing.  Running my console app as a daemon and then connecting to it either locally or remotely via a socket of some kind, possibly SSH.

Thanks!

~Brad

Developer Advocate
Ortus Solutions, Corp