comparison with Python Prompt Toolkit

p...@bothner.com

Jul 16, 2016, 1:45:08 AM7/16/16
to jline-dev
The Python Prompt Toolkit seems to have very similar goals and features as JLine3, but of course for a Python world.  It is now used by IPython/Jupyter.
It seems worthwhile being aware of it, and possible "borrowing" ideas (features and implementation).
They seem to have som desirable features that JLine doesn't (yet) have; I've noted these features that (as far as I know) JLine doesn't support:
  • Support for bracketed paste mode.
  • Mouse support, including cursor re-positioning with a mouse. Not something I'd use very often, but it seems difficult to explain to non-geeks that I can't move the cursor with the mouse :-(
  • Tab-completion looks sexier, and (more important) from the screenshots I'd guess you can scroll between alternatives (presumably with arrow keys), and select using the mouse.
Of course none of these ideas are new - but it's good to be aware of the "competition".