Discussion Topic #1- Anglo Saxon Poetry

Jon Karschnik

Aug 25, 2011, 3:04:52 PM8/25/11
to English 4
In less than 250 words, discuss the common themes in the three Anglo-
Saxon poems provided; The Wanderer, The Seafarer, and The Wife's
Lament.

TaylorGrace O'Quinn

Aug 30, 2011, 8:46:25 PM8/30/11
to English 4
Throughout the three aforementioned Anglo-Saxon poems, there seems to
be two very prevalent, distinct themes of sorrow and of difficult
journeys.
The speakers of all of the Anglo-Saxon poems seem to be extremely
distraught and searching for some sort of salvation, mainly from their
God.
They're all either embarking upon some sea-faring voyage or telling
the tale of their previous hard journey upon the sea.
In having these things in common, all of the poems start out in
relatively the same way with the first stanza of each poem invoking
a sense of hardship and defeat within the reader. Even though these
negative emotions are obviously expressed, there is still a light in
all
of the poems when they thank their God for blessing them even though
they're presented with unfortunate circumstances.

Dalton Perkinson

Aug 30, 2011, 11:16:06 PM8/30/11
to English 4
Reading the three provided text I kept thinking to myself when does
this end. Not so much as the reading ending but the depressing theme
of exile. All three made references to this similar exile and yet none
of them blamed anyone for their solitude. I got the impression they
were somewhat thankful for what they went through or are continuing to
go through as it may have defined them as an individual. I would like
to agree with Taylor in saying they are looking for a reach toward
salvation and being that they describe their hardships to be obstacles
to an end resolution or accomplishment I could very well see myself
relating many of these same topics to our contemporary lifestyles and
accomplishments of our own.

Robert Loweth

Aug 31, 2011, 9:22:14 PM8/31/11
to English 4
All three poems immediately begin by invoking a theme of exile. In
the case of the Seafarer, this is a physical exile, as the narrator is
constantly at sea and away from his physical home, if he has one. In
the Wanderer, the narrator suffers a sort of mental exile; his lord,
his love, his kin, and his comrades appear to be all or mostly all
dead. He is afflicted with terrible sorrow and feels he can no longer
relate with other men. The wife in the Wife’s Lament also appears to
suffer from a mental exile, in that she is deprived of her lord
husband and surrounded by only her lord’s friends, whom she barely
knows. This feeling of exile is further compounded by her revelation
of her husband’s betrayal.
Both the Seafarer and the Wanderer also spend a good deal of time
reflecting on the transience of life. Kings and Emperors die, nations
crumble, and heroes vanish. All things must pass. In both cases, the
narrator comes to the conclusion that God and eternal Heaven are the
only true and lasting “home,” in both the physical and mental sense,
and thus reach peace. In the Wife’s Lament however, this reflection
is absent. The wife is unable to reach the conclusion of the Seafarer
or the Wanderer, and thus is overcome with feelings of sorrow and
bitterness. She even goes so far to curse her former lover.

Tess Colby

Sep 1, 2011, 12:15:11 AM9/1/11
to English 4
All three of the Anglo-Saxon poems contain the themes of exile, loss,
and salvation. In “The Seafarer” the narrator has lost his joy of
living on Earth. He finds no pleasure in life and seems to have chosen
exile through aimless voyages on the sea. He longs for salvation in
Heaven, where he believes he will finally find happiness and a home.
In “The Wanderer” it appears that the narrator chose exile as escape
for his own safety. He remembers his deceased friends and feels alone
without them, experiencing the loss of companionship and home. He
feels his only chance for happiness is in Heaven because earthly
rewards are temporary. In “The Wife’s Lament” the wife experiences a
loss of society and her own culture. She is forced to follow her
husband to his “pagan” country abandoning her religion and family,
thus causing her to feel alone. Through her being exiled from society,
she feels the loss of the life she once had. Although the wife does
not directly express her desire for eternal salvation in Heaven, it is
implied that she longs for a better life than the one she now knows.

Morgan Leary

Sep 1, 2011, 3:16:37 PM9/1/11
to English 4
As I read the three Anglo-Saxon poems, I noticed the reoccurring
themes of exile, loss and sorrow. In each poem the narrator's God and
ideal Heaven are the answers to their either emotional or physical
exile. In "The Seafarer", he believes happiness is only found in
heaven and the sea, although this brings him sadness because it causes
him to be away from his natural home and surroundings. The next poem
"The Wanderer", is a story of a man who has more of a mental exile
rather than physical. He feels alone as he remembers that his friends
and family members may all be dead, so he excludes himself from the
rest of world. He feels separating himself and being with his God is
his only chance at happiness again, or if he ever had it at all.
Lastly, in "The Wife's Lament" the wife feels as if she has lost her
own society as she is forced to follow her husband and his ways that
she does not naturally agree with. She feels deprived from her Lord
and her Heaven, so exile seems to be her only way out of the life she
is unhappy with living now. Although each of the three poems have
negative or depressing themes, each of the narrator's seem to be
dedicated to their Lord, Heaven and their own personal beliefs.

hunter beasley

Sep 1, 2011, 4:37:57 PM9/1/11
to English 4
In all three anglo saxon poems there is a theme of exile along with
some sort of loss. even though there was alot of negative emotions
there was a little bit of postive emotions in there. They would go out
to sea and tell each other about other sea storys. But all of the
storys kinda started out in the same way. each of them making the
reader feel bad or emotions that wouldnt have been there before
reading. In the "Seafraer" they talk about how god is like saftey, and
its the only home they have. in the "Wanderer" the man has lost all of
his friends and family so he feels alone in the world. in the "Wifes
Lament" the wife is basically a follower. she begins to do what her
husband does because she has no other choice basically.

Emily Hines

Sep 1, 2011, 4:41:46 PM9/1/11
to English 4
Each Anglo-Saxon poem evokes sorrow, loss, and banishment. Throughout
the struggles and hardships, they all seek refuge in their God. In The
Wife's Lament, the wife feels eternally trapped and lost in her
deteriorating marriage. She is forced to participate in a pagan
religion she doesn't support and feels exiled by society. The Seafarer
embodies despair and loneliness. The narrator seeks to find refuge
through Heaven. He finds a bit of joy in the sea, but not enough to
prevent him from feeling like an outcast, exiled from his home. In The
Wanderer, all his companions have died, warranting him a severely
sorrowful outlook on life. He believes there is nothing left on earth
that is worth living for.

Samantha Geiger

Sep 1, 2011, 4:58:53 PM9/1/11
to English 4
These three poems all show themes of exile and struggle. In “The
Seafarer” the narrator has left his land and home for a life at sea
alone. He struggles with his exile internally and externally.
Internally, he fights feelings of loss and fear and externally he
fights against nature, the ocean. Believing in fate, he seeks peace in
Heaven and God. In “The Wanderer” it seems like the narrator has
exiled himself for his own protection because he says that he fled
from fate. He struggles with the loss of his friends and how things
used to be. He believes that everything will fail, so he seeks
happiness and strength in God. In “The Wife’s Lament” the wife feels
exiled when she first joins her husband far from her friends and
family. She struggles with this loss and later with the changes/end of
her marriage. At the end of her marriage she feels exiled again after
she is left and forced to be alone. After her abandonment, the wife
struggles with her ambivalence of love and hate toward the man,
wishing he would live heartbroken yet smiling.

Olivia Robertson

Sep 1, 2011, 5:49:30 PM9/1/11
to English 4
After reading the three poems, I came to the conclusion that they all
had the common themes of exile. In The Wanderer, he dwelled on his
past life and glories with his lord, comrades, and kinsmen. After
losing all that in a battle, he was driven into solitary exile where
he felt abandoned and yearned to return to the great days of his past.
In the Seafarer, he is experiencing physical exile. He describes his
desolate struggles at sea while he is away from kinsmen and surrounded
by danger. In the Wife’s Lament is suffering from mental exile after
she lost her husband, her lord. Her emotional state was impacted by
her husband’s betrayal and abandonment. It was obvious in the
beginning of the poem that she was in a very sorrowful mood. All three
poems immediately portray struggle, hardships, and sorrowful moods
that carry on throughout the poems to reveal the overall theme of
exile.

Holly Busby

Sep 1, 2011, 6:00:19 PM9/1/11
to English 4
All three of these Anglo- Saxon poems are considered elegiac poetry;
they all have the same type of themes throughout them such as despair
and woe. Another theme that I saw reoccurring through them was exile.
For instance, in The Wife’s Lament the wife felt exiled from her
husband, and lost in her marriage. In The Seafarer the sailor speaks
of somber exile from home while at sea, and the only hope of salvation
is the joy of heaven. However, in the third poem, The Wanderer, the
poet finds some glory through strength and bravery. There is still the
feeling of sorrow throughout the poem when the poet talks about the
attacks that happened during the time of his youth, but in the last
five or so lines the poem it becomes much less tense.

Caroline Pray

Sep 1, 2011, 8:14:44 PM9/1/11
to English 4
After reading the three Anglo-Saxon poems, I agree that they all have
the same theme of exile and hardship. But it is more than just the
feeling of being sent away; the speakers of these poems feel lonely
and estranged. In the poem "The Seafarer", I think the sea is not only
the force of nature he struggles against, but it also represents the
loneliness of the speaker, like he is trapped in the middle of a vast
sea all by himself. In “The Wanderer”, the speaker dwells a lot on the
loss of the past. He feels that he has lost everything: his leader,
his glory, and anything worth living for. So he longs for the happier
times of his past, dwelling on these memories and asking God for mercy
instead of facing reality, which leaves him in a kind of mental exile.
Lastly, in “The Wife’s Lament”, the speaker is suffering with her
exile. Not only was she feeling exiled by marrying her husband and
leaving her “loved ones and loyal friends” behind, but she also begins
to feel alienated throughout her marriage. This poem really shows her
emotions- it is after all, her “lament”; she is expressing extreme
grief over the loss of her husband and her banishment. Overall, all
three of these poems contain the themes of exile and also longing for
the past. The speakers in the poem are struggling through difficult
times and turn to memories of their past for comfort.

Heather Stone

Sep 1, 2011, 8:19:26 PM9/1/11
to English 4
Even though every other person has previously stated, I agree with the
fact that the main themes in these three Anglo-Saxon poems is exile,
loss, and salvation. In "The Seafarer" it seems as if the narrator
longs for salvation in the heavens and to be put out of his misery
with his hard life on the sea. "The Wander" portrays this same sense
of emotion except through a mental standpoint. He shuts himself off
from the world because of the image he has of all his family and
friends being dead. In "The Wife's Lament", the wife feels grief
towards the loss of her husband. It's obvious that she shows a
sorrowful tone throughout the poem. All three poems show struggle and
hardship which ties together in the overall theme of exile. Despite
this mood, all of the poems show a sense of blessing from their God at
one point or another.

Sierra Taylor

Sep 1, 2011, 8:47:14 PM9/1/11
to English 4
As I read these three anglo-saxon poems i realize that they all show
the themes of sorrow, adventure, and hardship. All of these poems also
represent a journey that has been made. The poem "The Seafarer" shows
a lot of alliteration. During this poem i get the sense of the
narrator being lost and feeling as if he is at sea to try to fill the
void. He also struggles a lot physically during this journey. The
narrator realizes that during this journey that god had the last say
so in any situation and heaven is where he will be happy and his the
void he was feeling will end. In the poem "The Wander" you also see a
lot of alliteration. The hardship seen in this poem was more mental
than anything else. It seems as is he has really lost trust in anyone
because everyone he has trusted is really absent in his life now. This
narrator just like the one in "The Seafarer" realize that they must
put there faith in god and the only true sense of happiness and trust
will be in heaven. "The Wife's Lament" really shows that it has been
passed down by word of mouth. We see this because there are many
pauses that are included in the poem where the speaker would have
taken a breath. We also see this by the Kinning, renaming for names,
shown when the poem says "leader of men." This poem shows a lot of
sorrow as a wife goes through a struggle when her and her husband
first get together and also at the end when there marrige is altered.

Erin Moore

Sep 1, 2011, 9:25:29 PM9/1/11
to English 4
All three poems speak clearly of exile. Each poem speaks of the sea,
the waves, and nature all in a pessimistic tone. Nature is described
as something that is undertaking the author, as The Seafarer starts of
saying “This tale is true, and mine. It tells how the sea took me...”
The Wife's Lament mentions, “First my lord left his people for the
tumbling waves..” Lastly, The Wanderer describes, “And I sailed away
with sorrowful heart, over wintry seas...” The adjectives tumbling and
wintry gives the reader a negative image about the ocean, making it
seem rough and fidget. The Seafarer sets the tone of the poem as dark
and mysterious from the beginning through keeping the reader afloat in
wondering by just what the author meant by “the sea took me”. The verb
took gives the reader an image of the speaker being held captive by
the sea, another way nature is portrayed negatively in the poems.
Other verbs such as forced, chilled, swept, smashing, and drifting are
also in comparison to nature in each poem giving each poem a similar
tone; one of darkness and dispear.

Tarry Boyd

Sep 1, 2011, 9:30:28 PM9/1/11
to English 4
After I read all three of the Anglo-Saxon poems, I have also noticed
the themes of sorrow and exile repeat throughout each of the poems.
In the poem The Wanderer I think the narrator feels like he can't
relate to others, he thinks his lord and his love are dead. He can't
forget about his comrades from the past. The poem, The Seafarer,
resembles exile because he is always at sea causing him to portray a
physical exile from his home. He believes all his loved ones might be
dead. The last poem, The Wife's Lament, the wife feels like her
husband has betrayed her, and she feels exiled with his friends whom
she barley knows.

Mercedes Barr

Sep 1, 2011, 9:50:33 PM9/1/11
to English 4
Within the three poems, there is a common theme of separation and
anguish. Each poem described a different person's feelings of being
alone, whether by exile or being trpped or whatever the cause may be,
each person felt alone. This feeling also caused the despair and
anguish they felt for being alone. In "The Wife's Lament", the wife
clearly stated that she was miserable, full of sorrow, and alone. She
had few loved ones and friends. The poem was mostly about her being by
herself, whether she was dead, alive, exiled, or trapped in a marriage
it doesn't matter. She felt separated from everything/everyone. In
"The Seafarer" it tells the tale of someone being "lost" at sea. They
were truly alone. It stated, "and hardship groaned around my heart",
this means that they suffered a lot from trials and it caused them a
lot of pain. "The Wanderer" talks about being an outcast on earth and
how you must guard your faith and let go of your burdens in order to
make it to Heaven. It talks about longing for salvation and what it
takes to truly feel free. These poems carry with them a burden of
sorrow and exile.

Bryce Murray

Sep 1, 2011, 9:50:37 PM9/1/11
to English 4
From what I read all the poems had the same Idea of pain of sorrow and
the feeling of exile but in the seafarer I saw that the anglo-saxon's
had ties to the sea but often connected it with hardship and fear.
Also each poem had a connection with nature in someway.

Miasha.gibbs

Sep 1, 2011, 10:39:40 PM9/1/11
to English 4
All three of these poems somehow talked about their excile, mostly
using nature to help express their feelings, which in these cases,
would be the sea. I also believe that relating their feelings the sea
is a negative sign, mainly because they use words like dark, crashing,
and lonely. I noticed both The Seafarer and The Wanderer, gave thanks
to God at the end of their poems. I find this interesting because they
are going through what I believe is harsh circumstances. I thought
about why the poem The Wife's Lament
didn't give any thanks to God for anything, and I thought about the
discussion in class. Maybe she doesn't have any hope in God anymore
because of the failure of her marriage. Maybe she feels that she has
nothing to thanks God for. I do believe that this women was abused
because the statement," I must endure hatred of my dearest one." To me
I believe that her " dearest one" would be her husband. I also believe
that killed her or had something to do with her death.

Evie Kirschke-Schwartz

Sep 1, 2011, 10:52:59 PM9/1/11
to English 4
The narrator in all three of these poems is mourning for something
they have lost. In the Seafarer, the sailor is mourning that he is
becoming alone and losing the life at home because he is constantly at
sea. The Wanderer, in my opinion, feels he is losing his manhood. He
seems to really idolize the “proud warriors” and “wise men” but it
appears that his friends or acquaintances that he idolizes are dead.
The woman in the Wife’s Lament has lost her husband emotionally, not
physically.
Another theme is banishment. In the Wife’s Lament, she feels
emotionally banished from her house. “They forced me to live in a
forest grove, under a oak tree in an earthen cave. The Romans
associated oak trees with Jupiter and his wife Juno, who was the Greek
goddess of marriage. This symbolizes how she feels trapped and dead in
her marriage. The Wanderer feels banished from society and
disconnected from the world, as does the Seafarer who only feels
comfortable in the sea now.

Jason Halkias

Sep 1, 2011, 11:24:35 PM9/1/11
to English 4
In all three of these poems all they talk about is exile and sorrow.
Some exile is physical, some is mental. In the Seafarer its a physical
Exile where he is always physically away from where he wants to be. In
the Wanderer he seems to Exile himself mentally because, he lost all
his friends and now he feels that he cant relate or get along with
other men. and in the final poem, the Wife’s Lament, this is also a
mental exile because she is surrounded by people she doesn't enjoy and
is tortured by her husbands betrayal.

Eli McIntosh

Sep 1, 2011, 11:36:15 PM9/1/11
to English 4
All of the provided Anglo-Saxon poems were accompanied by a very dark,
dissatisfied theme. There were consistent feelings of grief, sorrow,
and anguish. In each poem the word exile was used, which invoked an
emotional over-lay of banishment and despair. Aside from the
depressing factors, each poem seemed to depict a yearning for some
sort of salvation, and a new place to call home. This was majorly
referred to through religion, and the hope for an eternal resting
place in heaven.

Caitlin Neal

Sep 1, 2011, 11:42:32 PM9/1/11
to English 4
Throughout these three poems I found a repeating theme of exile along
with death and the afterlife.
In regarding the theme of exile, all the speakers of the poems
showed immense desire to be rejoined with their community. From my
perception, they were longing to be reconnected to the feudal system
with no resentment for the hierarchy involved in the form of society.
They all struggled in the lack of direction, home, and company of
friends and family.
During the exile theme in the poems, the speakers seemed certain of
death in the near future; either from a lack of motivation to proceed
with life, the hardships that nature has brought upon them, or like in
The Wife’s Lament a questionable case of murder. The lack of hope and
undeniable thought of death approaching was a constant in the
writings.
Much concern especially for the speakers in The Wanderer and the The
Seafarer was their fate in the afterlife. Religion was a prominent
aspect of the lives of people of this era and the strive for
acceptance of God and eternal joy in heaven was the ultimate goal.
Much fear of exile revolved around a dishonorable death and therefore
a denial into heaven. The Seafarer states that it was believed that
those who were received by God honorably into heaven died in war, old
age or illness. In addition, the afterlife theme was incorporated in
The Wife’s Lament who in some interpretations the speaker was talking
from her grave.

Allen Crowell

Sep 2, 2011, 12:18:53 AM9/2/11
to English 4
All three poems had an abundant theme of exile and loss. However in
the seafarer and the wanderer there is a silver lining of hope that
gently cascades in towards the end, showing that despite being exiled,
either physically or mentally as many others have stated, they try to
keep faith and look for some sort of salvation from God. In contrast,
the wife's lament does not possess this silver lining of hope. She
continuously drags along in deep emotional despair from her lord's
disloyalty. I agree with Mr. Karschnik's opinion of the wife's lament
in a way that she appears to be speaking from the dead almost in an
enraged haunting of some sort. Also, all three poems had a surreal
connection with nature and the sea due to the attention to detail
seemingly maintained by the people passing on these stories that many
years ago.

Isi Laborde-Edozien

Sep 2, 2011, 7:48:35 AM9/2/11
to English 4
The obvious common theme is isolation and the sorrowful human
experience associated with it, (which really is a reflection on the
value of societal bonds and companionship in Anglo-Saxon culture). The
emphasis in each poem is on the emotional, psychological, and even
philosophical transformations within the narrators – a journey of the
psyche through exile and the different reactions to their intense
loneliness and despair; the Seafarer during his wretched sea journey
defines his spiritual understanding of the world and the path to
Christian salvation; The Wanderer, having lost his kinsmen and lord in
war, suffering through an enduring search for a new lord, reflects on
the importance of stoicism and Heavenly faith; The Wife’s Lament’s
narrator is haunted with utter solitude and conflicting emotions
towards her lost loved one, from strong devotion to anger and
vengefulness. Another major theme is the absence and longing of past
loved ones as each narrator engages in a somewhat nostalgic
contemplation of their former lives. One of the more elusive themes is
the futility and impermanence of earthly or material things (wealth,
reputation, the comforts of home and friendship) and even fate,
particularly in both The Seafarer and The Wanderer where the narrators
convey this sort of existential nihilism, acknowledging that all
transient pleasures of the world are inevitably fated with misery and
misfortune. The Wife’s Lament may not explicitly say this but rather
serves as a demonstration of this concept.

Nick Stauble

Sep 2, 2011, 8:00:59 AM9/2/11
to English 4
The consistency of all three Angola-Saxon ties direct in with the
content that is within the poems. Although different in various
aspects, the three poems share a certain mood and feeling that is
sorrow and long for companionship of one form or another. Another
direct comparison of the trio of poems is the word and the notion of
exile and even death.
The exile referred to in the Seafarer is meant mostly as a
physical exile from the place he desires to be but in The Wanderer it
feels as if it is more so a mental exile as well as the Wife's lament.
The speaker in the last poem feels with drawn from the people around
her and is deeply submersed in sorrow and discontent.
Another point made in these poems is the stress for religion in
this era of history and also location played a role in the religious
aspect as well. Many strive for the acceptance from God and to achieve
eternal happiness which when it boils down was the main goal for
purpose. In the Wife's Lament the after life is shown so in some way
the people of the time definitely believe in a life after death. Also
it was stated in the Seafarer that being accepted by god could happen
only from dying in war, or of old age or sickness.

David Canning

Sep 2, 2011, 11:12:48 AM9/2/11
to English 4
Each poem describes being lost or exiled in life. The Seafarer
descibes the narrator's tale of being out at sea alone. The weather
is trecherous and his time spent alone exhausts his anxious mind. He
comes to the conclusion that Heaven is the only real home but he is
trapped by the sea. In the Wanderer, the narrator feels as if he
can't connect with people anymore after losing all the people he cared
about. This disconnection with people makes him feel alone in the
world, or exiled. Like the narrator in The Seafarer, the narrator in
The Wanderer realizes that the material world is unreliable and Heaven
is his true home. The narrator in The Wife's Lament is a woman who
most likely feels trapped in her relationship with her husband. Her
husband rejects her and forces her to live among his friends who she
barely knows. Instead of leaving her husband, she most likely still
loves him even though they are growing apart. "Far and near, I must
endure the hatred of my dearest one." She dwells on her thoughts of
being exiled by her husband and the seed of malice begins to grow.

dj Andrews

Sep 2, 2011, 11:31:01 AM9/2/11
to English 4

All these poems show signs of sorrow,hardship and loss. In the poem
"The Seafarer" the narrator faced a very physical journey. He shows a
lot of struggle in a physical sense. The narrator was away from what
he was used to and found sorrow whil ehe was away. However he felt as
if the only true sense of happiness was going to be found in heaven.
In the poem "The Wanderer" the narrator strugggled more mentally.He
struggles because all of his friends have died and he feels alone and
like he can't t trust anybody. He learnes to put his faith in god and
heaven is the only place where he will be happy. In the poem "The
Wife's Lament" the wife struggles as she enters her marriage as well
as when her marrige ends. This is also anglo-saxon appropriate because
it shows this poem has been passed down by word of mouth because of
the breaks in the poem.

Sara Maxwell

Sep 2, 2011, 11:43:12 AM9/2/11
to English 4
At first, when reading the three Anglo-Saxon poems i was unsure about
what feelings each character was truley feeling. After more analyzing,
it was evident in all three poems that the theme of exile, sorrow, and
expressed hardships. In the wanderer, he is alone at sea and it is
evident he is very lonley. In the poem he states, "the smartest man
does not trust others and is silent." He reflects on his life and the
companions, or lack there of. The poems have God as a focus, even
though he was exiled after losing a battle.These strugles are in his
head, while In the Seafarer, it is more physical. He wishes to make it
to heaven, while he travels to many different ports and ships, but is
very unhappy the whole time. He recieves no comfort, no rewords, and
feels like he has no "world."
In the Wife’s Lament, there is a very depressing mood. She is
suffering from losing her husband. She expresses that her husband
abandoned her and now she is under the oak tree. It is evident that
she longs to reach Heaven, along with the other characters.

Lauren Lackey

Sep 2, 2011, 10:08:27 PM9/2/11
to English 4
A common theme that ran throughout all three of the poems was misery.
In "The Wife's Lament", the wife talks about all of the hardships that
she was going through when her husband had left her and how sad she
was that they were apart. In "The Seafarer", the speaker talks about
his terrible life at sea and how he wished that he could be anywhere
else but there. In "The Wanderer", the narrator discusses how lonely
he is and how his "heart hurts". All of the speakers are grieving iver
different things, such as loss, loneliness, and regret. There is also
a common theme of referencing God. The speaker in "The Wanderer" asks
for God's pity out at sea and the speaker in "The Seafarer" relays the
"joys of God" and other positive experiences.
This conversation is locked