Re: JJmpeg android binaries

Michael Zucchi

Feb 5, 2013, 9:38:59 PM2/5/13
to jjmpeg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I'm going to CC this response to the list in-case others are interested.  In general I would prefer correspondence regarding jjmpeg to be via the list simply because the project is completely in public so there's no practical reason for private discussions.

On 06/02/13 03:42, Wahnish, Mark B wrote:

Hello,

I am working on an android project that requires FFmpeg we and would like to use jjmpeg.

May I ask what it is?

I see that you are working on an android player using a version of jjmpeg for android, but in your downloads page I do not see a jar specifically for android. Is it somewhere on your Google code site and I’m just not seeing it? If not, could you send me it or direct me how to obtain it?

The player binary is just an android package.  It only includes a stand-alone player activity.  A jar on it's own isn't that useful because it requires a shared library as well which can't be packaged that way.

I don't have a "re-usable" package at this point, neither in terms of the design (for the player that is, the library is reusable) or in terms of the packaging.

The player still needs a fair bit of work to become anything more than an experiment, and at the moment i have other things keeping me busy (shovelling dirt, beer, etc).  Apart from the player being turned into a reusable widget the jjmpeg high level api's need some refinement.

In the past I had a couple of thoughts regarding packaging:

o source-level library build, including the full shared library in each client (~4MB for the default build).  I've experimented with this a little but I can't remember how far I got and whether the native stuff got in the way;

o re-usable 'library package', which would contain the native side of things.  I'm not entirely sure how these work (e.g. 'codec' packages on android market), but one I saw exports a service which can return the path to the shared library which is then dlopened by a local copy of the java classes.

Given that jjmpeg is GPLv3 it doesn't really make much difference either way apart from package sizes, and 4MB isn't that much on any hardware capable of software decoding video.  So i'd probably be leaning toward the first solution because it's simpler (assuming the native shit works).  It's mostly just frobbing around with the build process.  i.e. splitting the jjplayer activity to another project/build thing, and turning jjmpeg-android into an android library.  I'm not that happy with the build process as it is but it lets me use netbeans directly for development of each component so I will keep it for the foreseeable future.

Regards,
 Michael