Error : "broken ffmpeg default settings detected" when writing video in windows

Selivanov Mikhail

Aug 13, 2013, 2:12:38 AM8/13/13
to jjmpeg-...@googlegroups.com
Hello NotZed,

At first, thanks for jjmpeg lib, it seems nice :)

I use JJMediaWriter to encode video from buffered images in my app.
I had no luck with building the latest version of jjmpeg for win32 then I built it's earlier version (rev92, june 2012).
When I run my app on linux everything is fine, but in windows i get this message:

[libx264 @ 0000000010427CD0] broken ffmpeg default settings detected
[libx264 @ 0000000010427CD0] use an encoding preset (e.g. -vpre medium)
[libx264 @ 0000000010427CD0] preset usage: -vpre <speed> -vpre <profile>
[libx264 @ 0000000010427CD0] speed presets are listed in x264 --help
[libx264 @ 0000000010427CD0] profile is optional; x264 defaults to high

Tried to figure it out myself but have got no explanation yet.

My best regards,
Mike

Michael Zucchi

Aug 13, 2013, 2:23:58 AM8/13/13
to jjmpeg-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike,

(I presume you're talking about the head version? That is only tested
against what is now fairly old ffmpeg - 0.10 or so)

To be honest, I don't think i've tried using libx264 to encode (even
though i should I guess), if it works on linux and not on win32 it
might be something to do with the set of codecs available.

There are a bunch of settings in the codec, but they're pretty much
undocumented so it's hard to know what needs to be used. If you find a
missing setting that needs an accessor I can add them in.

FWIW I only cross compile the windows build.

Selivanov Mikhail

Aug 13, 2013, 3:18:36 AM8/13/13
to jjmpeg-...@googlegroups.com
I've tested it against the version which was actual by the time of rev92, so it's quite old.
Maybe appropriate codec settings could be found in presets files. I'll try to figure it out.

BTW, what codecs/media conteiners have you tested?

Mike

2013/8/13 Michael Zucchi <not...@gmail.com>
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "jjmpeg-discuss" group.

Michael Zucchi

Aug 14, 2013, 12:53:39 AM8/14/13
to jjmpeg-...@googlegroups.com
On 13/08/13 16:48, Selivanov Mikhail wrote:
I've tested it against the version which was actual by the time of rev92, so it's quite old.
Maybe appropriate codec settings could be found in presets files. I'll try to figure it out.
I meant the version of ffmpeg, not jjmpeg.

I'm not sure if there is a way to pass the name of pre-sets to the library too - you'd have to look at ffmpeg.c to see how it handles it.

BTW, what codecs/media conteiners have you tested?

Mostly I just use ".avi" or ".mov" and let the library choose the codec, which tends to be h.264 for avi.  iirc I have done some stuff with mpeg2 as well (but it's been a while so i can't recall the details).

e.g. pass "somename.avi" to JJMediaWriter() - it will choose the codecs, and then call addVideoStream(width, height, framerate, bitrate).

width, height, framerate, and bitrate are can be codec dependent themselves.

addVideoStream() sets some other codec parameters - you should probably see what it's doing there, maybe that is where the problem is.

You should be able to set your own codec parameters in a similar way before calling videostream.open(), use videostream.getCodec().

And you can choose your own codec to pass to addVideoStream if it's not choosing the right one, again just see what JJMediaWriter does, or the ffmpeg examples.  The former is mostly a distilled version of the latter; and it's pretty much all the knowledge I have on the matter too.