Sad news

citygr...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2020, 1:18:03 PM4/14/20
to jimca...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends,

I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away.  Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through.  RIP Dennis

I am wishing all of you good health and peace.

xo Gio

Paths That Cross Will Cross Again

citygr...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2020, 2:22:12 PM4/14/20
to jimca...@googlegroups.com
From
Deer France
via
Peter Dougherty
. Since I couldn't't FB "share" I'll copy this great tribute/obit for Dennis Driscoll
Dennis Driscoll was born June 4th 1953, 2 months after me and our first photos are of me walking alongside his carriage. Dennis was as true blue as the skies over Fort Tryon Park. Dennis seemed to be born fully formed. He maintained the same haircut, earth tone clothes, and dessert boots throughout the ever changing decades he lived through. He still had a full head of reddish brown hair and although he had looked like an old man most of his life his peers caught up to him then passed him and he remained Dennis. A hilarious person. Once you got him going he would keep you laughing for hours. Dennis was thoughtful, honest, a talented musician who opened for his fav band Television doing his spoken word which made him so happy. Dennis was loyal, hip, and street smart, putting out 2 CD’s of spoken word material reminiscing on his teenage years which would have helicopter mom’s heads exploding if they ever gave a listen. I would head down Arden Street in the morning to walk to kindergarten with Dennis. 3 blocks away, alone, us 2. Like Patti’s book, just kids. Later I would ravage his 45 collection and he never put up a fuss. Dennis went to all your gigs, came with a smile and bought your CD’s. He knew everything about a subject that interested him. He was like an Archie Bunker who took an untraveled road. Blending in with anyone around him till he got you laughing. Dennis was in so many great bands: Pop Decay, Richard Lloyd, Foolish Virgins, Lakawanas, Low Riders and EVM. Dennis played a swinging bass. Dennis co-owned Old Devil Moon in the East Village for many years serving greens, beans, and corn bread and free meals to local hungry artists. He was published last year in the book The Writing Irish. He was the middle son of Peggy and Kenneth Driscoll. Two lovelier people you couldn’t have wished to meet. Dennis and his younger brother Kenneth lost their Dad to the virus just last week. Dennis’s second home was Ireland where he performed and had scores of friends. It was the rare occasion he left his beloved Inwood and the same apartment he held for decades.
Dennis was a man you rarely see these days.
Completely himself yet selfless. Fully formed yet formless. A softy but a rock as a friend. Sensitive yet aloof. His own character. Dennis was my first friend, my best friend who never turned his back on me. Dennis was a quiet man but the world will howl when they hear he’s left us.
Image may contain: 8 people, people sitting and indoor

K Marcus

Apr 14, 2020, 3:43:59 PM4/14/20
to citygrrl2000 via Jim Carroll Discussion List

rest in peace

<3

kristi