Re: [JimCarroll] Digest for jimcarroll@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 2 topics

Michael Villers

Apr 15, 2020, 7:31:41 PM4/15/20
to jimca...@googlegroups.com
Hi all…

Especially Cassie! Hope you’re safe and well.

Definitely sorry to hear about Dennis. The fates are so cruel this season.

Life in Philly goes on. i’m an essential worker (public radio tech), so I don’t have the cabin fever but it is sometimes a bit unnerving to be out and about sometimes.

Just wanna outlive the Trump *presidency.

Love and hugs to all of you!

Mike Villers

On Apr 14, 2020, at 6:35 PM, jimca...@googlegroups.com wrote:

citygr...@aol.com: Apr 14 05:11PM

Hello friends,
I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away.  Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through.  RIP Dennis
I am wishing all of you good health and peace.
xo Gio
Paths That Cross Will Cross Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln_1lthtC0
Cassie Carter <cassie...@gmail.com>: Apr 14 10:14AM -0700

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 10:11 AM citygrrl2000 via Jim Carroll Discussion List
Cassie Carter <cassie...@gmail.com>: Apr 14 10:22AM -0700

Thank you, Gio, for sharing this. I heard yesterday and just couldn't bring
myself to share with the group. Dennis was such a central figure in this
group, such a treasure. And that Inwood accent!

Damn. And he won't even get a decent service during the lockdown.

So ... You know what? I would really like for everyone to check in on the
list. Please? I need to know people are OK.

Love to all of you!

Cassie

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 10:11 AM citygrrl2000 via Jim Carroll Discussion List
jane gilday <plain...@mindspring.com>: Apr 14 01:38PM -0400

i'm fine...but very sad about dennis

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 10:11 AM citygrrl2000 via Jim Carroll Discussion List <jimca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello friends,

I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away. Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through. RIP Dennis

I am wishing all of you good health and peace.

xo Gio

Paths That Cross Will Cross Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln_1lthtC0

or send a blank email to JimCarroll+...@googlegroups.com

Please keep posts on topic!

For off-topic discussions, use the "OTJC" list: http://groups.google.com/group/OTJC)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jimcarroll/CAJsij1fYQmNx5CAgwjtBPa7VDN8JuKY3e9pX1X6Gk%2BC%2B6Htt%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.
Chris Zell <cz...@comcast.net>: Apr 14 01:46PM -0400

Sorry to hear about the loss. It’s never an easy moment made more difficult when the closure is incomplete.

I’m doing okay. My wife is going crazy because on top of the daily crunch, I’m making it more difficult for her by going through chemo during a pandemic. She flips out if I try to touch a doorknob. At the house. From the inside.

Stay safe with heads up looking forward.

Chris Zell
S Kevin Wojtaszek <skev...@gmail.com>: Apr 14 01:47PM -0400

I'm so sorry to hear this.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 1:38 PM jane gilday <plain...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

Mark T <tolc...@gmail.com>: Apr 14 01:56PM -0400

Very sad. Thank you for sharing, and heartbreaking that a proper service
isn't possible. Trying to stay safe up here near Toronto, stats saying
that our numbers are still pretty low compared to projections, and they're
saying that cases are going to start falling very shortly. Definitely
doing better than a lot of other areas. Hope everyone is staying as safe
as they can. This list is definitely a welcome distraction, even when it's
bad news.

On Tue., Apr. 14, 2020, 1:22 p.m. Cassie Carter, <cassie...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Mary Capriole <mcap...@gmail.com>: Apr 14 02:17PM -0400

Gio, is there an obituary?

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 1:11 PM citygrrl2000 via Jim Carroll Discussion

--

http://mary-capriole.artistwebsites.com/
citygr...@aol.com: Apr 14 08:10PM

Yes Mary check the email from Deer France that I sent earlier

I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away.  Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through.  RIP Dennis
I am wishing all of you good health and peace.
xo Gio
Paths That Cross Will Cross Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln_1lthtC0

http://mary-capriole.artistwebsites.com/--

Listening to John Prine as I read about Dennis’ passing. He was always fun to correspond with.

Everyone take care.

LaVerne Kreklau

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 10:11 AM citygrrl2000 via Jim Carroll Discussion List <jimca...@googlegroups.com <mailto:jimca...@googlegroups.com> > wrote:

Hello friends,

I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away. Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through. RIP Dennis

I am wishing all of you good health and peace.

xo Gio

Paths That Cross Will Cross Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln_1lthtC0

This is a very sad news. Dennis was a very nice person.
Best wishes from all of you from Barcelona and all my support in this bad moment.
Mercè

Enviat des del meu iPhone

citygr...@aol.com: Apr 14 04:52PM

Hello friends,
I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away.  Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through.  RIP Dennis
I am wishing all of you good health and peace.
xo Gio
Paths That Cross Will Cross Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln_1lthtC0
citygr...@aol.com: Apr 14 06:22PM

From Deer France via Peter Dougherty. Since I couldn't't FB "share" I'll copy this great tribute/obit for Dennis Driscoll Dennis Driscoll was born June 4th 1953, 2 months after me and our first photos are of me walking alongside his carriage. Dennis was as true blue as the skies over Fort Tryon Park. Dennis seemed to be born fully formed. He maintained the same haircut, earth tone clothes, and dessert boots throughout the ever changing decades he lived through. He still had a full head of reddish brown hair and although he had looked like an old man most of his life his peers caught up to him then passed him and he remained Dennis. A hilarious person. Once you got him going he would keep you laughing for hours. Dennis was thoughtful, honest, a talented musician who opened for his fav band Television doing his spoken word which made him so happy. Dennis was loyal, hip, and street smart, putting out 2 CD’s of spoken word material reminiscing on his teenage years which would have helicopter mom’s heads exploding if they ever gave a listen. I would head down Arden Street in the morning to walk to kindergarten with Dennis. 3 blocks away, alone, us 2. Like Patti’s book, just kids. Later I would ravage his 45 collection and he never put up a fuss. Dennis went to all your gigs, came with a smile and bought your CD’s. He knew everything about a subject that interested him. He was like an Archie Bunker who took an untraveled road. Blending in with anyone around him till he got you laughing. Dennis was in so many great bands: Pop Decay, Richard Lloyd, Foolish Virgins, Lakawanas, Low Riders and EVM. Dennis played a swinging bass. Dennis co-owned Old Devil Moon in the East Village for many years serving greens, beans, and corn bread and free meals to local hungry artists. He was published last year in the book The Writing Irish. He was the middle son of Peggy and Kenneth Driscoll. Two lovelier people you couldn’t have wished to meet. Dennis and his younger brother Kenneth lost their Dad to the virus just last week. Dennis’s second home was Ireland where he performed and had scores of friends. It was the rare occasion he left his beloved Inwood and the same apartment he held for decades.Dennis was a man you rarely see these days.Completely himself yet selfless. Fully formed yet formless. A softy but a rock as a friend. Sensitive yet aloof. His own character. Dennis was my first friend, my best friend who never turned his back on me. Dennis was a quiet man but the world will howl when they hear he’s left us.Image may contain: 8 people, people sitting and indoor
I am sorry to say that our own Dennis Driscoll has passed away.  Dennis was a New York original, an Inwood guy through and through.  RIP Dennis
I am wishing all of you good health and peace.
xo Gio
Paths That Cross Will Cross Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cln_1lthtC0

rest in peace

<3

kristi

K Marcus

Apr 16, 2020, 10:19:55 AM4/16/20
to 'Michael Villers' via Jim Carroll Discussion List

Jen K

Apr 17, 2020, 9:20:08 PM4/17/20
to jimca...@googlegroups.com
This news gutted me, too, even though I never actually met Dennis in person. Interacting in this group was enough to give me a sense of the man and I grieve with everyone here. These are strange and difficult days. Very glad to hear from everyone. Awful that tragedy seems to bring us together. Such is life, and death.

Love to you all,
Jen (in Houston)