Jim Carroll Pools of Mercury book!

Maggie Quinn

Jun 27, 2019, 9:26:11 PM6/27/19
to Jim Carroll Discussion List

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a book about Jim Carroll and his “Pools of Mercury” record. The core of this book will consist of previously unpublished photos of Jim from a 1998 session. I hope to be able to present them in large format and high print quality. There will be also written contents related to the “Pools of Mercury” LP, and interviews with musicians who were involved in it.

This is still work in progress and I would like to ask members of this board for comments and suggestions.  What would you like to see and read in a new book dedicated to Jim?

Thank you!

Maggie

Cassie Carter

Jun 28, 2019, 3:08:58 PM6/28/19
to jimcarroll
Hey everybody, let's hear it! What do you want to know about Pools of Mercury? Maggie is interviewing people and digging through the archives at NYPL, so now's your chance to ask questions!

Cassie

Matthew

Jun 30, 2019, 3:21:59 PM6/30/19
to Jim Carroll Discussion List
He did Pools of Mercury after turning down other offers over the years to record music.

Matt

Maggie Quinn

Jul 5, 2019, 8:35:28 PM7/5/19
to Jim Carroll Discussion List
He did! Shall we explore this in the book?

Cassie Carter

Jul 5, 2019, 8:42:10 PM7/5/19
to jimcarroll
I would love to know how he came to work with the musicians and producer he worked with, how it turned into a spoken word and music album, where the song-songs came from . . .

Cassie

Maggie Quinn

Jul 5, 2019, 9:30:17 PM7/5/19
to Jim Carroll Discussion List
Hi Cassie,

Yes! All this will be discussed! Good point about the musicians and producer, because the collaborative effort of this very special group of experienced musicians gives "Pools of Mercury" it's unique complex sound.

I have to mention Jack Kerouac "Kicks Joy Darkness" record.. Innocent whistling.. ;-)

And the spoken word/music combination will be explained too. Thank you, Cassie!

More questions please! Anyone??

Maggie

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 9:26:11 PM UTC-4, Maggie Quinn wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a book about Jim Carroll and his “Pools of Mercury” record. The core of this book will consist of previously unpublished photos of Jim from a 1998 session. I hope to be able to present them in large format and high print quality. There will be also written contents related to the “Pools of Mercury” LP, and interviews with musicians who were involved in it.

This is still work in progress and I would like to ask members of this board for comments and suggestions.  What would you like to see and read in a new book dedicated to Jim?

Thank you!

Maggie

Cassie Carter

Jul 5, 2019, 10:44:08 PM7/5/19
to jimcarroll
EXACTLY!

And regarding the Kerouac project, EXACTLY!

Jim was doing a LOT of recording projects during this time, before and immediately after.

How did this album happen? Really, I want the story.

People, just a tip: we are more likely to get the answers if you get involved.

xoxo

Cassie

Mark T

Aug 3, 2019, 9:48:07 AM8/3/19
to Jim Carroll Discussion List
Looking forward to this!  I was fortunate that Jim traveled north of the border to Toronto to promote Pools of Mercury and Void of Course.  A fantastic evening.  Richard Hell was the opening act, also reading.

M. Patricia Li

Nov 17, 2019, 9:26:15 AM11/17/19
to jimca...@googlegroups.com
hello!  i realize i am super late to this thread, but i remembered that i started responding and then got sidetracked.

i first met jim in 1998 - i was in middle school and i went to see jim read at the poetry project in october.  he signed my copy of void of course (i was 100% acting my part and straight hyperventilating).  i think pools of mercury came out a little later (?) that year - because i had it with me when i went to see him perform at the poetry project's new year's marathon, and he and lenny kaye signed that one for me then.

i'm really curious about the origin stories of the songs on pools of mercury - when they were written, when they were recorded, how they came to be.  i loved the poems on there but i always thought the songs had a different magnetic pull to them - "falling down laughing", "desert town", "pools of mercury", and "the beast within" were such strange beautiful gems (i listened to them obsessively to try to get all the lyrics down - i seem to remember threads on this discussion list arguing over what some of the lines were - the line from "desert town" about "fat horse flies" or "pharaoh's flags"???).  were there more songs where those came from?

xxx
amme

citygr...@aol.com

Nov 17, 2019, 1:11:02 PM11/17/19
to jimca...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It warms my heart to sign on and see emails from this group.  I hope you are all doing well.  Love that balloon Cassie (Hi!).  I am a preserver in glass type of person. However, as I have said in the past, I don't have an artist bone in my body so what do I know?  Sending you all much love.

Gio