Quick Question!

Cassie Carter

Apr 11, 2023, 11:11:23 PM4/11/23
to jimcarroll, catholi...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to organize images. I have a pile of (mostly new) images covering:
  • childhood, genealogy, homes
  • family & friends
  • schools - this gets into a hairy mess! I don't have much visually for Good Shepherd, but I have a lot for Trinity and a little for Rice (just started on Rice recently) and Wagner
  • personal objects, clothing
  • things that verify stories in JC's diaries or go beyond the diaries to show his involvement in the culture -- like the J&J baby ad, a book cover JC appeared on, the document JC created coming up with character names for Andy Warhol, the program for a Carolee Schneemann performance, the program for the "tiny" performance art event when he did "Tiny Tortures"
  • writing process - JC annotating poetry magazines, his drafts, etc.
Right now I'm lumping all of this as "Archaeological Evidence" because it's the loot from my ongoing research -- but it seems to me there may be more than one category for these things.

Here's the question: If you were on CatholicBoy.com looking for any of the things I described in the bullets above, what would you search for?

Let me know! Thanks!

Cassie

Cassie Carter

Apr 11, 2023, 11:28:30 PM4/11/23
to jimcarroll, catholi...@googlegroups.com
In asking you all about how you think about organizing the "archaeological" content, I confess to you that I have not yet figured out how I want to shape it. So here's your chance!

NYPL does nothing to interpret the contents of the Jim Carroll archive, other than to categorize it. They do it this way so that researchers coming into the archive can make of it what they will. I think that's awesome!

In contrast . . . Everything on CatholicBoy.com (old and new) has my stamp on it, my interpretation of where it belongs, what it means. It's my research project. So there's that.

In my paid employment over the past 20+ years, I have been a User Experience (UX) designer. I've often experienced cognitive dissonance because I haven't been able to get information from my audience about what they need or how they think about finding information on CatholicBoy.com. I may start asking people to navigate the site while I observe (on Zoom frinstance). Anyone interested?

Cassie