Help with project: Social Network

Anshit Agarwal

Mar 15, 2014, 8:12:07 AM3/15/14
to jii...@googlegroups.com, Arun Sori
I am going to start a project this weekend. But I need to discuss some details with experience people first.
The project consists of making a Social Networking website that works on clustering algorithms to generate recommendations of users to other users on the basis of interests previously entered. I have been planning to make a python based website which uses my laptop as a local server and writes data into files. These files will then be read by a java based backend which will sort all the data into files and provide recommendations.
1) Is this process viable?
2) Is there any easier way of doing this process?
3) Is java too advanced a language for clustering data and writing files?

PS: I have no knowledge of Python, yet I am ready to learn it for my project.

Ashish Dubey

Mar 15, 2014, 11:14:37 AM3/15/14
On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Anshit Agarwal <a.an...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am going to start a project this weekend. But I need to discuss some details with experience people first.
The project consists of making a Social Networking website that works on clustering algorithms to generate recommendations of users to other users on the basis of interests previously entered. I have been planning to make a python based website which uses my laptop as a local server and writes data into files. These files will then be read by a java based backend which will sort all the data into files and provide recommendations.
1) Is this process viable?
Viability is a broad term. I'd think of viability in specific dimensions, e.g. scalability of different components, security, user interaction etc. Moreover, if you're in learning phase and prototyping something, take your first approach as the viable approach :)

2) Is there any easier way of doing this process?
3) Is java too advanced a language for clustering data and writing files?

PS: I have no knowledge of Python, yet I am ready to learn it for my project.

You are a proud member of JIIT-LUG Community.
Have something to share, send an email to jii...@googlegroups.com

Ashish Dubey

Akshit Agarwal

Mar 15, 2014, 11:24:13 AM3/15/14
to jii...@googlegroups.com, a.an...@gmail.com
Arun if you are planning to make a website in Python so I suggest you to use Python only for backend too, so that you don't have to waste time in integration the backend and also that it won't be a gud idea to use files for storing data and then process it with java and then again read results from files to show on site......so you can do your backend work in python easily by storing in DB and then directly processing things in it only w/o using any files......but your approach is also possible as you can process the data using java while make a site in python