negative value for Transfer entropy

Abolfazl Ziaeemehr

Oct 7, 2022, 12:45:44 PM10/7/22
to Java Information Dynamics Toolkit (JIDT) discussion
Hello,
I am using JIDT V1.5 for a network of Kuramoto oscillators,
sweep over overall coupling strength, this is the result for correlation,
transfer entropy and mutual information between two pairs of nodes,
The surrogate test value is negligible,

What's your idea?
Is that clear?

 fig_100.png

Thomas Varley

Oct 8, 2022, 12:49:05 AM10/8/22
to Java Information Dynamics Toolkit (JIDT) discussion
Are you using the Kraskov nonparametric estimator? That can return negative values (for reasons I've never fully understood), which you interpret as "not significant coupling."

Joseph Lizier

Oct 8, 2022, 12:52:48 AM10/8/22
to jidt-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Thomas. Yes, I presume the negative values come from using the KSG estimator.

Please see the FAQ on this on our wiki, which explains why this is the case and why for TE and conditional MI in general you can get more extreme negative values.

--joe

--
JIDT homepage: https://github.com/jlizier/jidt
---