Binning in JIDT

elnaz moghaddam

Jan 16, 2023, 8:31:27 PM1/16/23
to Java Information Dynamics Toolkit (JIDT) discussion
Dear Professor Lizier,

I have a question about binning in calculator type  in the JIDT!
What is the size of bin in this toolkit?
Can I change the size of the bin?

With the best regards,
Happy new year,
Elnaz

Joseph Lizier

Jan 16, 2023, 8:43:56 PM1/16/23
to jidt-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear Elnaz,

If you ask for the binned estimator using the AutoAnalyser, the call to MatrixUtils.discretise() discretises into N bins of equal size (with N being the argument you provide), partitioning the data in each variable equally from the min to max of the samples for it. I've not put a way to return what the size of each bin is (or upper and lower limits), though you could dive into the code for MatrixUtils.discretise() to pull this out for yourself.
Similarly, if you replace this call with discretiseMaxEntropy() for a max entropy binning, it doesn't return the bin sizes but you could pull out and expand the code to do this yourself.

You can't change the bin size, only the number of bins. If you want to control the bin sizes, I suggest as above that you pull out the code from these methods to do what you want there.

Regards,
--joe

--
JIDT homepage: https://github.com/jlizier/jidt