Education applications in Jibe?

Bob A

May 14, 2014, 7:19:32 PM5/14/14
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Is anyone out there currently using Jibe/Unity to support and enhance learning at the college/university level?  I am especially interested in engineering and science applications, but other topics and themes are welcome.

Thanks

Bob

Rick Anderson

May 14, 2014, 7:34:04 PM5/14/14
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
I'm doing Negotiation, Conflict Management, and Therapy simulations. Our prototypes were in JIbe. We're now using a Hybrid of Jibe and our own code.

We replaced Vivox with WebRTC via OpenTok. There are two modes one that is a drop in replacement for Vivox and the other is webRTC on it's own. With WebRTC on its own you can add video as well as voice.

We ran 3 simultaneous sessions with 20 people in each session. That's about the max without provisioning more resources.

If you've got any questions let me know.

--Rick

Rick Anderson
Director of Virtual Worlds
Division of Continuing Studies (DoCS)
Rutgers University
(732) 586-3265

John Bourne

May 15, 2014, 10:28:15 AM5/15/14
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bob:

We are using Jibe/Unity with excellent design support from John Lester and Robin Donnelly at Reaction Grid to create virtual worlds for nursing education.  As an engineering educator for many years (Vanderbilt and a founding faculty member at Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering) I have a deep and abiding interest on how we could do similar things in engineering education (especially based around learning-by-doing).  Wonder if we should create a special interest group at Sloan-C for this purpose?

John Bourne
Chief Innovation Officer
American Sentinel University