JHipster devbox

Julien Dubois

Nov 17, 2015, 9:46:29 AM11/17/15
to JHipster dev team
Hi all,

I'm really super-happy with the Vagrant "devbox" at:

As any of you tried it?
I intend to include it in our installation page at http://jhipster.github.io/installation.html between the "local installation" and the "docker installation".

Is this OK for all of you?

Julien

Christophe Bornet

Nov 17, 2015, 10:18:53 AM11/17/15
to JHipster dev team
Not yet. But this looks really nice.
I would like to use it for my team but then I will need Cassandra and Postgres. Are you OK if we PR for supporting these DBs ?

Julien Dubois

Nov 17, 2015, 10:26:39 AM11/17/15
to Christophe Bornet, JHipster dev team
I don't want the box to become too big, but those two DBs shouldn't add much to the whole system which is already quite big:

- Yes please add them, but don't make them running by default
- For Postgresql please add pgadmin3
- For Cassandra please add Datastax Devcenter if the license allows it, DBeaver otherwise
- Just write some good comments so we can them switch them on/off if they take too much space

Cheers,

Julien

Julien Dubois

Christophe Bornet

Nov 17, 2015, 12:27:56 PM11/17/15
to JHipster dev team, bornet...@gmail.com
Of course, no problem.
Maybe they could go in separate scripts that can be removed from the VagrantFile ?

For datastax : "DevCenter provides data connection options across multiple versions of Apache Cassandra and DataStax Enterprise. DevCenter runs on Windows, Mac and Linux systems and is free to download and use without any restrictions. "

So I guess we're OK :-)

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 3:46:29 PM UTC+1, Julien Dubois wrote:
Hi all,

I'm really super-happy with the Vagrant "devbox" at:

As any of you tried it?
I intend to include it in our installation page at http://jhipster.github.io/installation.html between the "local installation" and the "docker installation".

Is this OK for all of you?

Julien

Frederik Hahne

Nov 17, 2015, 2:51:07 PM11/17/15
to JHipster dev team
I just tried it and got the following error:

There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
the following errors and try again:

vm:
* The host path of the shared folder is missing: ~/jhipster

Creating the folder works fine of course. So maybe we should add it to the documentation.

Platform:
ArchLinux + Gnome 3.18 + Kernel 4.2.5
Vagrant 1.7.4 + Virtualbox 5.0.8

Frederik Hahne

Nov 17, 2015, 2:56:17 PM11/17/15
to JHipster dev team
Maybe I've done something wrong, but I can't login with vagrant/vagrant (getting only a teminal not graphical login screen), documentation sounds like there should be unity greeter (or at least something graphical)

Julien Dubois

Nov 17, 2015, 3:00:26 PM11/17/15
to Frederik Hahne, JHipster dev team

Oh yes you should have a GUI. Did you restart your box after the setup?

Frederik Hahne

Nov 17, 2015, 3:06:37 PM11/17/15
to Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team

Yes. Did again vagrant up afterwards. Maybe I should try to force provisioning again.

Frederik Hahne

Nov 18, 2015, 1:22:33 AM11/18/15
to JHipster dev team
It works now (my fault), was not patient enough :) After provisining has finished and restarting the machine I have a graphical ubuntu, so looks fine so far. I can test it on windows later

Julien Dubois

Nov 18, 2015, 2:53:31 AM11/18/15
to Frederik Hahne, JHipster dev team
Ah, great news :-)

Christophe Bornet

Nov 25, 2015, 5:18:00 AM11/25/15
to JHipster dev team
Hi all,

In your opinion, what should be the prefered IDE for AngularJS in the devbox (unfortunately not WebStorm as it is not free) ?
- the already installed Atom ?
- the eclipse angular plugin inside STS ?
- SublimText ?
- Brackets ?
- emacs/vi/ed/cat (for purists) ?
- other ?

Julien Dubois

Nov 25, 2015, 5:19:44 AM11/25/15
to Christophe Bornet, JHipster dev team
Hi,

That's why I installed Atom in the devbox. I have great hopes for Visual Studio Code, but less people use it at the moment, so at the moment I'm sticking with Atom for my trainings.

Julien

Frederik Hahne

Nov 25, 2015, 5:25:31 AM11/25/15
to Julien Dubois, Christophe Bornet, JHipster dev team
+1 for Atom, I use it quite often

Christophe Bornet

Nov 25, 2015, 8:50:55 AM11/25/15
to JHipster dev team, julien...@gmail.com, bornet...@gmail.com
OK for Atom then.
Also, another remark : shouldn't we use the LTS version of Ubuntu (14.04) ?

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Christophe Bornet <bornet...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

In your opinion, what should be the prefered IDE for AngularJS in the devbox (unfortunately not WebStorm as it is not free) ?
- the already installed Atom ?
- the eclipse angular plugin inside STS ?
- SublimText ?
- Brackets ?
- emacs/vi/ed/cat (for purists) ?
- other ?

Julien Dubois

Deepu K Sasidharan

Nov 25, 2015, 9:23:26 AM11/25/15
to Frederik Hahne, Christophe Bornet, Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team

Yes Atom/brackets/sublime has very similar feature and is great for js though Atoms git integration is nice.

Christophe Bornet

Nov 25, 2015, 10:09:20 AM11/25/15
to JHipster dev team
I think it would be even greater to provide an atlas hosted box with everything configured (no more setup.sh script).
See what is done for laravel : http://laravel.com/docs/4.2/homestead

Julien Dubois

Nov 25, 2015, 11:04:20 AM11/25/15
to Christophe Bornet, JHipster dev team
Yes Christophe that's what I wanted to do, in fact I copied their idea! Only trouble is that I have absolutely no idea how to create an Atlas box. I've read the doc several times, I don't understand at all how this is supposed to work.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Christophe Bornet <bornet...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it would be even greater to provide an atlas hosted box with everything configured (no more setup.sh script).
See what is done for laravel : http://laravel.com/docs/4.2/homestead

Christophe Bornet

Nov 26, 2015, 3:17:04 AM11/26/15
to JHipster dev team, bornet...@gmail.com
Would you try the following Vagrantfile and tell me if it works for you (only diff with gh box is that the language/keyboard is set to FR) ?

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
    config.vm.box = "cbornet/jhipster"
    config.vm.network :forwarded_port, host: 8080, guest: 8080
    config.vm.network :forwarded_port, host: 3000, guest: 3000

    config.vm.provider :virtualbox do |vb|
        vb.gui = true
        # Use VBoxManage to customize the VM. For example to change memory:
        vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--memory", "4096"]
        vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--vram", 64]
        vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--accelerate3d", "on"]
    end
end

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:04:20 PM UTC+1, Julien Dubois wrote:
Yes Christophe that's what I wanted to do, in fact I copied their idea! Only trouble is that I have absolutely no idea how to create an Atlas box. I've read the doc several times, I don't understand at all how this is supposed to work.
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Christophe Bornet <bornet...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it would be even greater to provide an atlas hosted box with everything configured (no more setup.sh script).
See what is done for laravel : http://laravel.com/docs/4.2/homestead

Christophe Bornet

Nov 26, 2015, 5:10:41 AM11/26/15
to JHipster dev team, bornet...@gmail.com
It's actually pretty simple to upload a box if you don't use their "recommended" packer.
Vagrant up to start and provision the vm
Then in the vm (or by vagrant ssh) to reduce the box size :
 * sudo apt-get clean
 * sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/EMPTY bs=1M && sudo rm -f /EMPTY
 * cat /dev/null > ~/.bash_history && history -c
(these commands could be added to the setup script)
Then "vagrant package" to package in a .box file
Then upload your box in https://atlas.hashicorp.com/boxes/new

Julien Dubois

Nov 26, 2015, 5:15:04 AM11/26/15
to Christophe Bornet, JHipster dev team
Oh I see your box, indeed: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/cbornet/boxes/jhipster

I'm going to add a ticket to follow this, it looks in fact very easy, no idea what they try to do with "packer"!!!!

Christophe Bornet

Nov 26, 2015, 4:40:06 PM11/26/15
to JHipster dev team, bornet...@gmail.com
There is an error in the commands above.
If you do sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/EMPTY bs=1M && sudo rm -f /EMPTY, the rm command is not executed because dd exits with an error.
So the two commands must be done on different lines (or separated by ; not &&).
Sorry about that !

Gaël Marziou

Nov 27, 2015, 4:45:00 AM11/27/15
to JHipster dev team
I think one of the best is Visual Studio Code, it's open source, lightweight and cross platform.

It has excellent support for JS, NodeJS and tools like grunt and gulp.
It support of typescript is the best which will be sueful for Angular 2.

I droped few months ago Atom because of issues with international keyboard support.

Gael

Christophe Bornet

Apr 20, 2016, 12:20:20 PM4/20/16
to JHipster dev team
VS Code 1.0 is now released. Should we move to it ? It's a really great and popular JS editor.

Julien Dubois

Apr 20, 2016, 12:49:43 PM4/20/16
to Christophe Bornet, JHipster dev team
In fact I'd like to move from STS to Intellij Community Edition, but the issue is they don't provide a clean URL on which I can do a wget...