JHipster on Windows

Matt Raible

Apr 28, 2022, 1:26:35 PM4/28/22
to JHipster dev team
Hey all,

I’ve been looking into the following issue and I’m able to reproduce it.

tl;dr JHipster doesn’t work on Windows because of Undertow. If you switch the project to use Tomcat, it works.

This seems like a big deal since we’re alienating Windows developers.

Thoughts?

Pm Verma

Apr 28, 2022, 2:03:14 PM4/28/22
to Matt Raible, JHipster dev team
I just checked by running 21 points app locally,
Didn't have any issues with my Windows 10, Java 17.
I work on other Jhipster projects on both Windows 10 and sometimes Windows 11,
I never had any similar issues.

Can't it be corrupted maven library?

Matt Raible

Apr 28, 2022, 2:05:15 PM4/28/22
to Pm Verma, JHipster dev team
That's good to know. Maybe it's just the options in my jhipster7-demo project that don't work?

Pm Verma

Apr 28, 2022, 2:09:40 PM4/28/22
to Matt Raible, JHipster dev team
Ah sorry for mentioning the wrong repo.
Actually, it was the same as your comment.

Frederik Hahne

Apr 28, 2022, 2:20:06 PM4/28/22
to Pm Verma, JHipster dev team, Matt Raible
If I remember the issue correctly only java 17.0.3 are problematic. 17.0.2 works. Can You check your version? I will try my windows machine later this evening

Frederik Hahne

Apr 28, 2022, 2:26:59 PM4/28/22
to Matt Raible, JHipster dev team
Regarding windows, yesterday I showed jhipster and the native part in an informsl coding session to some colleagues and my team lead. Seems like it made some impression as I am supposed to show it to the Tech Radar and architecture teams. Most of them are using windows so it would be cool it still works 😉

Pm Verma

Apr 28, 2022, 2:42:28 PM4/28/22
to Frederik Hahne, JHipster dev team, Matt Raible
Yes, you are right!
The issue occurs only with java 17.0.3

Daniel Franco

Apr 28, 2022, 2:44:12 PM4/28/22
to Pm Verma, Frederik Hahne, JHipster dev team, Matt Raible
Yes, I confirm too, using another Java 17 version than 17.0.3 it works

Matt Raible

Apr 28, 2022, 3:21:39 PM4/28/22
to Daniel Franco, Pm Verma, Frederik Hahne, JHipster dev team
It happens for me on Windows with Java 11.

openjdk 11.0.15 2022-04-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-11.0.15+10 (build 11.0.15+10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-11.0.15+10 (build 11.0.15+10, mixed mode)

Pascal GRIMAUD

Apr 28, 2022, 5:03:20 PM4/28/22
to Matt Raible, Daniel Franco, Pm Verma, Frederik Hahne, JHipster dev team
One of my teammates uses Windows+Java17 without problems. She can start our full stack of microservices with Undertow. I'll ask her the exact version.

So according to the different answers, it comes from the version of Java, as there are many different ways to install it.

Pascal

Frederik Hahne

Apr 29, 2022, 1:46:27 AM4/29/22
to Pascal GRIMAUD, Matt Raible, Daniel Franco, Pm Verma, JHipster dev team
Maybe we should revisit undertow usage in general? It is not compatible with spring native too for example.