Current build is failing because of PhantomJS

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 4:40:38 AM3/8/18
to JHipster dev team
Hi everyone,

I would like to do our first beta release today, however the build is failing, which is of course a blocker.

Reading the logs on https://travis-ci.org/jhipster/generator-jhipster/builds/350648194 the issue is with PhantomJS crashing - I'll put the logs at the end of this message.

Of course I can't reproduce on my Mac, and we already use the last PhantomJS release (and from my understanding there won't be a new one).

2 solutions here:

- I'm upgrading our Travis build to use a more recent NodeJS version, to match what I have on my laptop. I don't think it will solve the issue, but it's worth trying and it's easy.
- Maybe it's time to switch back to Puppeteer!!!! Pascal & Pierre what do you think about it? For JHipster 5 we could try this again, at least in the beta phase.

Here are the logs:

PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0): Executed 0 of 172 SUCCESS (0 secs / 0 secs)
.JS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0): Executed 1 of 172 SUCCESS (0 secs / 0.088 secs)
.JS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0): Executed 2 of 172 SUCCESS (0 secs / 0.12 secs)
08 03 2018 14:41:11.100:ERROR [phantomjs.launcher]: PhantomJS has crashed. Please read the bug reporting guide at
08 03 2018 14:41:11.261:ERROR [launcher]: PhantomJS crashed.
PhantomJS has crashed. Please read the bug reporting guide at
08 03 2018 14:41:11.262:ERROR [launcher]: PhantomJS stdout:
08 03 2018 14:41:11.262:ERROR [launcher]: PhantomJS stderr: PhantomJS has crashed. Please read the bug reporting guide at
08 03 2018 14:41:11.265:INFO [launcher]: Trying to start PhantomJS again (1/2).
08 03 2018 14:41:21.463:WARN [PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0)]: Disconnected (1 times), because no message in 10000 ms.
PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0) ERROR
Disconnected, because no message in 10000 ms.
PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0) ERROR
Disconnected, because no message in 10000 ms.
PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0): Executed 2 of 172 DISCONNECTED (10.439 secs / 0.12 secs)
PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0) ERROR
Disconnected, because no message in 10000 ms.
PhantomJS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0): Executed 2 of 172 DISCONNECTED (10.439 secs / 0.12 secs)
JS 2.1.1 (Linux 0.0.0): Executed 2 of 172 DISCONNECTED (10.439 secs / 0.12 secs)

Pascal GRIMAUD

Mar 8, 2018, 4:52:51 AM3/8/18
to Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team
Hi,

Sorry, I didn't have time yet to analyze this :-(

I don't think the problem comes from PhantomJS, otherwise, all other builds would failed too.
Only 2 builds failed: MongoDB and Couchbase.

Just looked the history:

1) OK (except for React)

2) KO for MongoDB and Couchbase

So maybe it's related to this commit ?

Pascal

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 4:59:14 AM3/8/18
to Pascal GRIMAUD, JHipster dev team
I don't understand why this commit would do anything with MongoDB or Couchbase.... But indeed it's touching the tests, maybe there's something here.
But I don't have the issue on my laptop, and PhantomJS is crashing, so anyway that's not very good.
I will revert it in a separate branch to see what happens
--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 5:34:43 AM3/8/18
to Pascal GRIMAUD, JHipster dev team
I have created 2 branches:

https://github.com/jhipster/generator-jhipster/tree/test-fix-phantomjs where I just revert the commit that causes the error
https://github.com/jhipster/generator-jhipster/tree/migration-to-puppeteer where I migrated to Puppeteer, both Angular & React (and both work fine on my laptop, so I'm quite happy!!)

Let's see what passes the build!

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 5:40:07 AM3/8/18
to Pascal GRIMAUD, JHipster dev team
For the first branch, where I just reverted the commit, we still have the PhantomJS crash :-(

Pascal GRIMAUD

Mar 8, 2018, 5:42:05 AM3/8/18
to Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team
Not sure for your 1st branch: https://travis-ci.org/jhipster/generator-jhipster/builds/350750894
The builds didn't start yet

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 5:54:24 AM3/8/18
to Pascal GRIMAUD, JHipster dev team
Oh sorry, I forgot I did a 3rd step (migrating to the latest Node 8 release), which is the one failing.

So let's wait!
But to be honest I'm quite happy with Puppeteer this time, and it looks like they have released quite a lot of new versions, so hopefully it would work better for us.

William MARQUES

Mar 8, 2018, 6:00:14 AM3/8/18
to Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team, Pascal GRIMAUD
+1 to use Puppeteer, phantomjs is officially abandoned so we should switch to a new solution if the performances are good of course.

Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

William Marques

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 7:50:31 AM3/8/18
to William MARQUES, JHipster dev team, Pascal GRIMAUD
First good news, reverting the commit works: https://github.com/jhipster/generator-jhipster/tree/test-fix-phantomjs

So at least we are not blocked for a long time.

I think we should migrate to Puppeteer for the BETA, and then we'll decide if it's good or not.

Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois

William Marques

Pierre BESSON

Mar 8, 2018, 8:44:43 AM3/8/18
to Pascal GRIMAUD, Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team
Hi Julien,

Recently I have been thinking a lot of replacing PhantomJS again. As the last release was in January 2016 http://phantomjs.org/releases.html this is becoming critical.
However using puppeteer seems to be a no go because as far as I know it is not fully compatible with windows yet. Although if the windows issues are fixed then we should go back to it.

Pierre BESSON

Mar 8, 2018, 8:46:03 AM3/8/18
to Pascal GRIMAUD, Julien Dubois, JHipster dev team
I had also though of replacing PhantomJS with JSDom (https://github.com/jsdom/jsdom) which is a pure javascript solution. But I have not been able to make it work with our current setup.

Julien Dubois

Mar 8, 2018, 11:41:05 AM3/8/18
to Pierre BESSON, Pascal GRIMAUD, JHipster dev team
It looks like my Puppeteer build is passing - as indeed PhantomJS is dying, we really need to move on.
In the last months it looks like there has been a lot of work on Puppeteer, so I hope our original issues are now resolved.

So I'm merging those - we can't stay with a broken build, and we can't stay with a broken PhantomJS. Let's hope it works well, and we'll revert if necessary.