Build a business application with JHipster Lite

Pascal GRIMAUD

Sep 24, 2022, 4:32:49 PM9/24/22
to JHipster dev team
Hello team,

Here is a video from Colin, to show how to build a business application using JHipster Lite:

Don't hesitate if you have some feedback.
Pascal

Charlie Mordant

Oct 1, 2022, 5:52:32 AM10/1/22
to Pascal GRIMAUD, JHipster dev team
Super vidéo indeed: the coding practice is clean, no mistake during one hour (I don't know how Collin succeed to do that), TDD all the way.

It's unfortunately one hour long, which is usually a bit too long, and not really focused on JH-lite but on coding: there's 3 minutes on JH-Lite, it works too well!
I know that it would make Hexagonal guru cry, but is there a way to remove the Web port part? It's 20 minutes to explain how to convert json to business and business to entity within this video (altough I don't get why jackson mapper is not suited, it's just annotation on top of the object, but I'm far to be an hexagonal promoter).
Last, a link to the resulting github repo is a must.

Thanks for this amazing coding session, impressing.

Best regards,
Charlie

Charlie Mordant

Pascal GRIMAUD

Oct 1, 2022, 6:28:00 AM10/1/22
to Charlie Mordant, JHipster dev team
Answer from Colin:

Thanks for the feedbacks!

There are mistakes, the last part is dedicated to clearing them :D. I should have used a default payload (as I usually do) but... dunno why I decided to do that. Nevertheless, I got feedbacks saying even this part was interesting since the troubleshooting can be interesting to look at.

I think I need to make a ~10mn video of just JHLite usage (I also got this feedback). Truth is I needed this video for a presentation I did to a company, that was it's main purpose :D. It also may be a good idea to do one without comenting the TDD part since it don't bring any value, dunno.

We can remove the primary part but it's inefficient. If you want to do that it's better to stick to calling repositories from controllers (as promoted in the JHipster video on main page). By adding serialization / deserialization in the domain you totally lose the interest of an hexagonal architecture by bounding your domain to infrastructure & exposition.

I don't understand the need for a git repo with that code. What's the point of this? (I probably lost this code already...)

Julien Dubois

Oct 2, 2022, 5:41:59 AM10/2/22
to Pascal GRIMAUD, Charlie Mordant, JHipster dev team
Hi everyone,

I’m preparing a JHipster Lite talk for Devoxx in about 10 days…. I plan to do a video before and share it to get feedback. It should be less than 40 minutes in total.

Then for the hexagonal vs CRUD debate: I know many people believe CRUD is a bad architecture, but calling JPA repositories from REST controllers is super efficient from a coding perspective, and super performant (as you can use lazy loading efficiently and don’t need a mapping layer). That’s why Rails is was so successful initially - easy and performant data access.
I believe those are 2 options that could live next to each other in JHipster Lite, we don’t need to make a choice. It’s already the case with JHipster, even if we push the CRUD approach by default.

Julien

--
Julien Dubois

Twitter: @juliendubois