Cannot sustain large number of requests and concurrency

Cheng Li

Oct 5, 2015, 8:44:15 AM10/5/15
to jgroups-raft
Hi all,

Currently, when running the shipped CounterServiceDemo with three replicas, I identified the following two problems:

a) If I issued 10000 requests continuously, then leader replica would hang and output:

changed role to Follower

I don't why the workload will trigger the leadership change.

b) If I issued 10000 requests at two replicas, then the service hung and no plausible responses were produced. An exception might be triggered as follows:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException

Can anybody help me figure out what happened?

Thanks,
    Cheng

Bela Ban

Oct 6, 2015, 1:55:51 AM10/6/15
to jgroup...@googlegroups.com
(b) is a bug that I was able to reproduce quickly: [1]. It seems to be
related to client redirection (REDIRECT), but I need to investigate
further. But this won't happen until some time next week as I'm on PTO
starting today.

(a) I was not able to reproduce this. Perhaps FD_ALL suspected a member
because of the load. You can try and increase the timeout in FD_ALL,
e.g. <FD_ALL timeout="60000".../>.
Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/belaban/jgroups-raft/issues/39
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/fddec1e6-b1b1-47b1-9e9d-6c4fd7f10d5f%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/fddec1e6-b1b1-47b1-9e9d-6c4fd7f10d5f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)

Cheng Li

Oct 6, 2015, 4:06:23 AM10/6/15
to jgroups-raft
Hi Bela,

I think for b) you can even reproduce it when you use two threads in the same CounterService server to issue concurrent requests. I don't think that is connected to REDIRECT. It should be the problem in a single CounterServer instance.

Thanks,
    Cheng

Bela Ban

Oct 6, 2015, 4:28:14 AM10/6/15
to jgroup...@googlegroups.com
Can you create a unit test and attach it to issue #39 (see the link below) ?
> > an email to jgroups-raft...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:jgroups-raft...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:jgroup...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/fddec1e6-b1b1-47b1-9e9d-6c4fd7f10d5f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/74c41688-d572-4b74-be4a-3ccb109932d1%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/74c41688-d572-4b74-be4a-3ccb109932d1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bela Ban

Oct 15, 2015, 7:59:53 AM10/15/15
to jgroups-raft
OK, so the culprit seems to be RAFT.resend_interval which by default is 1000. If you lower it to (e.g.) 100, performance increases. I'm investigating why this is the case. Subscribe to [1] to get updates.

[1] https://github.com/belaban/jgroups-raft/issues/39
>      > <mailto:jgroups-raft+unsub...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>     <javascript:>
>      > <mailto:jgroup...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>      > To view this discussion on the web visit
>      >
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/fddec1e6-b1b1-47b1-9e9d-6c4fd7f10d5f%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/fddec1e6-b1b1-47b1-9e9d-6c4fd7f10d5f%40googlegroups.com>
>
>      >