Is is possible that user data sending will block heartbeat package

赵琦

Apr 12, 2017, 9:26:20 PM4/12/17
to jgroups-raft
Hi Bela,

Is is possible that user data sending will block heartbeat package. When I test jgroups-raft on 4 node cluster, I find that some times heartbeat will delay and cause election timeout.

Thanks,
Qi

Bela Ban

Apr 13, 2017, 3:21:08 AM4/13/17
to jgroup...@googlegroups.com
Are you referring to FD_ALL? A heartbeat sent by this protocol should
never block anything...
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/dbe18210-582e-4995-ad10-22414e023ee3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgroups-raft/dbe18210-582e-4995-ad10-22414e023ee3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bela Ban | http://www.jgroups.org

赵琦

Apr 14, 2017, 8:10:15 AM4/14/17
to jgroups-raft, bel...@mailbox.org
Hi Bela,

I means the Heartbeat of raft protocol. I observed that the heartbeat of raft protocol some times was not send to follower in time an case election.

Thanks,
Qi

在 2017年4月13日星期四 UTC+8下午3:21:08,Bela Ban写道:

On 13/04/17 03:26, 赵琦 wrote:
> Hi Bela,
>
> Is is possible that user data sending will block heartbeat package. When
> I test jgroups-raft on 4 node cluster, I find that some times heartbeat
> will delay and cause election timeout.
>
> Thanks,
> Qi

Bela Ban

Apr 16, 2017, 6:12:30 AM4/16/17
to 赵琦, jgroups-raft
You need to be a bit more specific, what exactly happened and what
symptoms did it cause?

The leader sends a periodic heartbeat to prevent followers from trying
to become leaders.

These heartbeat messages are sent _unreliably_, ie. they may get dropped
and there is no retransmission performed by JGroups.

In case a follower doesn't receive a couple of heartbeats, it may select
to become leader by starting an election. However, to actually become
leader, it requires a majority of votes, and that's unlikely unless a
majority of members didn't receive their heartbeats, either.

In the unlikely case the new would-be leader does indeed get a majority
of votes (and has the longest log), it would become the new leader, but
this is fine, and entirely within the scope of the Raft protocol.