shalstab

carlotta bartelletti

Jul 8, 2013, 12:23:16 PM7/8/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I'd like to know some information about Shalstab.
If I have different litology in a basin, with different geothecnical features. How can I build map of trasmissivity, map of the tangent of the friction angle, so on... instead of introduce one unique value by means of jgrasstools?
thanks for your help
Carlotta

Silvia Franceschi

Jul 8, 2013, 3:42:17 PM7/8/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlotta,
you can produce the maps using different methods starting from your input data. For example you can use the OMSMapcalc module and calculate, tangent of the friction angle: if you have the friction angle for each of the litotypes.
The input maps can also be calculated using interpolation of field data using kriging or spline, it depends really on your input data.

Regarding the trasmissivity, there was a module, but I can not find it in the last release, maybe someone else can help you in this? Giuseppe was starting working on this right?

Ciao

Silvia

Carlotta

Giuseppe Formetta

Jul 9, 2013, 4:58:47 AM7/9/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi, i used shalstab but not the transmissivity model. Anyway i computed some of the input maps by using geoscripting.

Best regards

giuseppe

carlotta bartelletti

Jul 9, 2013, 4:47:39 PM7/9/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com

Sorry,
I don't know what kind of passages to introduce in Omsmapcalc, to obtain map of tangent of friction angle... I have the map of litology and the different values of tangent of friction angle for each of those.
Please, help me!
Thanks!

Silvia Franceschi

Jul 10, 2013, 2:52:39 AM7/10/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
If you have this you can simply use the module RangeLookup and classify your map of litology with the values of the tangent of the friction angle.

Silvia

carlotta bartelletti

Sep 30, 2013, 5:02:23 PM9/30/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I tried to use shalstab elaboration for my thesis. I would like to create many maps, changing some parameters. I tried to do it, but It appears un error "1394 of java", the second time that I do other maps, inside the same map data set. What does it means? which is the error?  the problems seems to be linked to the importing of map of various parameters... Please help me!

Marco Foi

Oct 1, 2013, 3:44:00 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
I am a newbe of JGT so I am not sure this will help: did you remove from the map and filesystem the output of the previous run before attempting a second?
The issue may be due to problems with already-existing and already-in use files (so locked) the tool fails to overwrite.

Marco

2013/9/30 carlotta bartelletti <carlottab...@gmail.com>

Hi, I tried to use shalstab elaboration for my thesis. I would like to create many maps, changing some parameters. I tried to do it, but It appears un error "1394 of java", the second time that I do other maps, inside the same map data set. What does it means? which is the error?  the problems seems to be linked to the importing of map of various parameters... Please help me!

andrea antonello

Oct 1, 2013, 3:44:39 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlotta,
please try to better explain what you did.

Does this happen only with certain parameters? I don't understand that
from your email.
The error doesn't tell much. Can you run the module with DEBUG
combobox set to ON and send us the console output?

Ciao,
Andrea

carlotta bartelletti

Oct 1, 2013, 11:09:09 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this is the debug with the problem!

carlotta bartelletti

Oct 1, 2013, 11:11:04 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, Before I didn't send it!

Il giorno lunedì 8 luglio 2013 18:23:16 UTC+2, carlotta bartelletti ha scritto:
debug_shalstab.txt

andrea antonello

Oct 1, 2013, 11:11:07 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
The attached file seems to be empty (0K).

Marco Foi

Oct 1, 2013, 11:30:36 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Surely Andrea will give you a definitive reply.. ..but up to what I can see the error is issued while the method "getSampleDouble" is accessing some of your input data to retrieve the cell values.
This might mean that the extent of your inputs is not exactly the same: open them with a text editor and check in the header whether NCOLS and NROWS are constants across your files.
If this is ok.. ..stand by for Andrea's help! ;-)

Marco

andrea antonello

Oct 1, 2013, 11:39:11 AM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
yep, Marco is right.
I see an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1394, which is an error in
which the module tries to access a position outside on of the maps.

So I am guessing Marco is right, your input maps do not match the same
region, which is required for the modules.

Andrea

carlotta bartelletti

Oct 1, 2013, 2:12:19 PM10/1/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
HI, Is this mean that I did map out of the processing region? I did map with arcgis, and I import that in asc format. The first time I do the class map of shalstab, it runs but when I do the second time the same map, It doesn't work. could the problem to be linked  with a passage that i don't know?
I did several attemps. For example, I imported the maps into the box for the shalstab calculation, and then I have choosen the path for the output maps. I Clicked the running botton, and I obtained the two output maps. Then I wanted create an other map, inserting the value of soil depth, instead of import the relative map, and I left unchanged the others parameters. But it appeared the error! Should maybe I stop to run the program or erase/clear the consol, for doing an other operation?
Carlotta

Silvia Franceschi

Oct 2, 2013, 2:39:11 AM10/2/13
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Dear Carlotta,
it is not easy to understand what you are doing exactly...

HI, Is this mean that I did map out of the processing region? I did map with arcgis, and I import that in asc format. The first time I do the class map of shalstab, it runs but when I do the second time the same map, It doesn't work.

Do you simply click the run button without changing anything in the GUI?

could the problem to be linked  with a passage that i don't know?

There are no unknown passages for rerun the same tool with the same data.

I did several attemps. For example, I imported the maps into the box for the shalstab calculation, and then I have choosen the path for the output maps. I Clicked the running botton, and I obtained the two output maps.

This is relative to the first execution, ant that's fine!

Then I wanted create an other map, inserting the value of soil depth, instead of import the relative map, and I left unchanged the others parameters. But it appeared the error! Should maybe I stop to run the program or erase/clear the consol, for doing an other operation?

Probably you are doing something wrong in choosing the parameters... I mean that Shalstab considers the constant parameters only if the boxes for the maps are empty, this means that there has to be nothing inside the box relative to the soil depth map. To "erase" the content of the soil depth map you have to open the "choose folder" panel and click on Cancel. Then insert the constant parameter and rerun the module.

It should work this way. Otherwise you can start inserting the constant parameter and then the second time the map of soil depth.

Let us know if it works,

Silvia

windb...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2014, 10:36:47 AM2/18/14
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlotta:

I am having trouble to install Shalstab to ArcGIS 10. How did you manage to make it work? I am doing a research trying to determine the slope stability and not able to make shalstab run really upset me. Please let me know, thank you very much.

Jielun

andrea antonello

Feb 18, 2014, 10:45:17 AM2/18/14
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeilun, Carlotta,

> I am having trouble to install Shalstab to ArcGIS 10. How did you manage to
> make it work? I am doing a research trying to determine the slope stability
> and not able to make shalstab run really upset me. Please let me know, thank
> you very much.

I also would die to understand how to install Shalstab (and any other
module) in ArcGIS! :)

Jokes apart, I assume here we are talking about a non jgrasstools
Shalstab, right? It would be a news for me to see people to use
jgrasstools from within ArcGIS.

Cheers,
Andrea

> Jielun
>

> On Monday, July 8, 2013 12:23:16 PM UTC-4, carlotta bartelletti wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I'd like to know some information about Shalstab.
>> If I have different litology in a basin, with different geothecnical
>> features. How can I build map of trasmissivity, map of the tangent of the
>> friction angle, so on... instead of introduce one unique value by means of
>> jgrasstools?
>> thanks for your help
>> Carlotta

cle...@stanford.edu

Jun 4, 2018, 1:29:53 PM6/4/18
to jgrasstools
Hi I was just jumping on this thread to see if you were ever able to download Shalstab on ArcGIS 10?

andrea antonello

Jun 5, 2018, 2:47:36 AM6/5/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Hi I was just jumping on this thread to see if you were ever able to download Shalstab on ArcGIS 10? \

I would be delighted to know that also. Can I know where you got the
information that the Hortonmachine Shalstab would work inside ArcGIS?

Thanks,
Andrea

> On Monday, July 8, 2013 at 9:23:16 AM UTC-7, carlotta bartelletti wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I'd like to know some information about Shalstab.
>> If I have different litology in a basin, with different geothecnical features. How can I build map of trasmissivity, map of the tangent of the friction angle, so on... instead of introduce one unique value by means of jgrasstools?
>> thanks for your help
>> Carlotta

giuseppe formetta

Jun 5, 2018, 3:01:06 AM6/5/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As far as i know this is not possible.
A ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java exists but it is mainly used for app developers.

Christopher, are you referring to the built in ArcGis shalstab version?
In that case, no, probably nobody of us tried to use that. Horton Machine has is own shalstab version.

Best regards
giuseppe

老马

Nov 30, 2023, 7:15:07 AM11/30/23
to jgrasstools
May I ask how to obtain the SHALSTAB extension? Can anyone help me with this?

在2018年6月5日星期二 UTC+8 15:01:06<giuseppe formetta> 写道:
Hi all,

As far as i know this is not possible.
A ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java exists but it is mainly used for app developers.

Christopher, are you referring to the built in ArcGis shalstab version?
In that case, no, probably nobody of us tried to use that. Horton Machine has is own shalstab version.

Best regards
giuseppe

> Hi I was just jumping on this thread to see if you were ever able to download Shalstab on ArcGIS 10? \

I would be delighted to know that also. Can I know where you got the
information that the Hortonmachine Shalstab would work inside ArcGIS?

Thanks,
Andrea

> On Monday, July 8, 2013 at 9:23:16 AM UTC-7, carlotta bartelletti wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I'd like to know some information about Shalstab.
>> If I have different litology in a basin, with different geothecnical features. How can I build map of trasmissivity, map of the tangent of the friction angle, so on... instead of introduce one unique value by means of jgrasstools?
>> thanks for your help
>> Carlotta

andrea antonello

Nov 30, 2023, 8:16:24 AM11/30/23
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> May I ask how to obtain the SHALSTAB extension? Can anyone help me with this?

there is no such thing as an extension to a GIS software. The
Hortonmachine is available as java library or standalone spatial
toolbox. And it contains a Shalstab module you can use.

If you give us more information about the environment you would like
to use it, maybe we can help.

Cheers,
Andrea
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jgrasstools/7f779590-9564-43ed-b3b2-7838500cd140n%40googlegroups.com.

老马

Nov 30, 2023, 9:02:40 PM11/30/23
to jgrasstools

Thank you for taking the time to read my question amidst your busy schedule. I am currently a graduate student, and I intend to use SHALSTAB to calculate the stability index of my research area. The SHALSTAB version I am currently using is embedded in Arcview 3.2, but it can only calculate for a very small area. Later, I discovered that SHALSTAB is also available in SAGAGIS. So, I tried this version, but it outputs the effective critical rainfall intensity. I am unsure of how to divide the area into stability and instability regions based on these values. Additionally, for different soil parameters and graphics, the effective critical rainfall intensity varies. According to my understanding of the SHALSTAB principles found online, it should use log(q/t) to delineate stability. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Thank you very much.

Silvia Franceschi

Dec 3, 2023, 9:54:17 AM12/3/23
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Dear loam,
first of all the this mailing list is dedicated only to the tools integrated in the Horton Machine package and not in ArchGIS or SAGA which have different implementation of the algorithms.
Regarding the HortonMachine (HM), you can find more the reference manual here:

And here you can find some slides explaining the Shalstab model (even if in Italian the model and the equations should be clear, otherwise just ask me).

And some other slides containing all the process to define input and understand outputs of Shalstab integrated in the HM package are available on my SlideShare account.
An example here:

As you can see, we have as output both the map of the critical rainfall for each pixel and the map of the evaluation of the stability index:

image.png

You can also take a look here at slide 102.

Regarding your additional questions:
1. for evaluating the stability of a pixel you have to apply the Shalstab index
2. the parameters of the soil are part of the evaluation of the Shalstab index because from friction angle and the density of the terrain depends its stability

Hope this can help you going on with your analysis.

Best regards

Silvia

--
ing. Silvia Franceschi
Via Roma, 64

tel: 0039 -3384501332

老马

Dec 6, 2023, 12:35:51 AM12/6/23
to jgrasstools

Thank you very much for your help. It has allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of shalstab.