horton-machine current state-of-art?

Emanuele Cordano

Jan 11, 2018, 4:48:24 AM1/11/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,

four year ago I started to work with jgrasstools from R  (see https://github.com/ecor/rjgrassSmartGroovyBridge), in this work I used a compiled version of jgrasstools and I inserted it into an R package. I have no longer worked with this project for long time.

Actually we would like to start with some data analysis in large river basins and because I'm an R enthusiast and I work with R, I would like to use the jgrasstools from R, principally for geomorphological analysis of river basin, I'm trying to understand is the current state-of-art of jgrasstools, my idea would be to create a living project containing a bridge from R to the jgrasstools/Horton Machine tools, I can invest some time for the development.

I found, posted in March 2017, this link for the horton machine
I would like to start from there, I kindly ask if there are in this link or other any example on how to use jgrasstools/horton machine in a python or groovy environment?

Any feedback is welcomed.
I thank you for your kind attention.
Best

Emanuele Cordano

--
Emanuele Cordano, PhD
Environmental Engineer / Ingegnere per l' Ambiente e il territorio nr.

andrea antonello

Jan 12, 2018, 4:37:29 AM1/12/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emanuele,

> four year ago I started to work with jgrasstools from R (see
> https://github.com/ecor/rjgrassSmartGroovyBridge), in this work I used a
> compiled version of jgrasstools and I inserted it into an R package. I have
> no longer worked with this project for long time.
>
> Actually we would like to start with some data analysis in large river
> basins and because I'm an R enthusiast and I work with R, I would like to
> use the jgrasstools from R, principally for geomorphological analysis of
> river basin, I'm trying to understand is the current state-of-art of
> jgrasstools, my idea would be to create a living project containing a bridge
> from R to the jgrasstools/Horton Machine tools, I can invest some time for
> the development.
>
> I found, posted in March 2017, this link for the horton machine
> https://github.com/TheHortonMachine/hortonmachine/wiki/Building-JGrasstools-and-insert-it-in-your-project
>
> I would like to start from there, I kindly ask if there are in this link or
> other any example on how to use jgrasstools/horton machine in a python or
> groovy environment?

I think you have two options here:

1) Work with gvSIG, which has both a Python (Jython) and groovy
console. To be honest I am not sure about the status of the groovy
part, since I still have to evaluate whether to use ti for a
university course I will be giving in a few months.
Also I know there have been problems in the past with soe modules,
probably due some classloading mechanism.
So this would be the more difficult path, because you would probably
have to also interact with the gvSIG developer community, but it would
give you a full GIS environment to work in.

2) Use the groovy console to rule them all. I think you should have no
problem to customize the console that comes with groovy and add both
your library and the hortonmachine libs. Once you have both in the
class path, you should be good to go with whatever you have in mind.

Ciao,
Andrea

> Any feedback is welcomed.
> I thank you for your kind attention.
> Best
>
> Emanuele Cordano
>
> --
> Emanuele Cordano, PhD
> Environmental Engineer / Ingegnere per l' Ambiente e il territorio nr.
> 3587 (Albo A - Provincia di Trento)
> cell: +39 3282818564
> email: emanuele...@gmail.com,emanuele...@rendena100.eu,
> emanuele...@eurac.edu
> PEC: emanuele...@ingpec.eu

Emanuele Cordano

Jan 19, 2018, 9:51:35 AM1/19/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Andrea,

 for your quick reply, you are very kind. I just compiled the tools and in the next days I will try to work with groovy scripts and horton machine. I think  that the old script examples are still working, once  linked to the new library version. I will keep you and the community informed about this activity.

Have a nice week end .

Ciao
Emanuele

Emanuele Cordano

Jan 23, 2018, 6:01:45 AM1/23/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,

please where can I get the actually most updated manual for the Horton Machine functions?
Currently I'm focused to estimate the path along drainage directions to each cell of a raster map to its sea outlet.  Is there already a specific function for that?

Thank you and cheers
Emanuele

Emanuele Cordano, PhD

Silvia Franceschi

Jan 26, 2018, 7:14:04 AM1/26/18
to jgras...@googlegroups.com
Dear Emanuele,
I really don't know if and where there is a new version of the HortonMachine manual, usually I use this one:

but for sure Riccardo can give you the right link.

Regarding your question, yes there are different functions that you can use, it depends on what you will do with the path... if you need to evaluate the distance to outlet you can use the Distance2Outlet or also RescaledDistance.

Regards,

Silvia

ing. Silvia Franceschi
Via Latemar, 22