Researching RAPS, GOLDSTEIN from Przemsyl

Asparagirl

Feb 9, 2012, 1:33:49 AM2/9/12
to Jewish Przemysl Forum
Hello, Przemysl researchers! I heard about this group through Marla
Raucher Osborn (thank you, Marla!). I am researching the following
family names from Przemsyl:

- ATTERBACH / APTERBARCH / OPTERBACH / OPTOCHBACH / and similar
sounding names
- GOLDSTEIN
- PROBSTEIN
- RAPS
- RINGEL
- TEITELBAUM / TEUTELBAUM
- VOGEL

My great-great-grandmother Beile (Beila) "Bessie" RAPS LICHTENSTEIN
was born in Przemysl in June or July 1874. She immigrated to the
United States with her family in 1888 and settled in New York. She
died in 1960 and is buried in Queens, New York City, New York.

Bessie's parents were Abraham Hersch (Hirsch) RAPS (born November 1849
- died 1931) and Chana (Chane, Hannah) GOLDSTEIN RAPS (born 1849/1850
- died 1910).

Abraham Hersch (Hirsch) RAPS was the oldest of at least seven known
children. His parents were Leib "Leibish" RAPS (born circa 1829 -
died 1874) and Miriam (Marem, Mary, Mariem, Marie) (PROBSTEIN)
(APTEBARCH, APTERBACH, OPTOCHBACH) ATTERBACH (whew, what a mouthfiul!
born circa 1833 - died 1865). Leib later married Reisel (Reisil)
(MLAWER, MONOWER) MALAWER.

Chana (Chane, Hannah) GOLDSTEIN RAPS' parents were Simson (Simon,
Simcha) Menachem GOLDSTEIN (1819-1891) and Beila RINGEL GOLDSTEIN.
Simson's parents were Moses (Mojzesz) Abel GOLDSTEIN and Frimet
(surname unknown - born circa 1782 - died 1856). Beila's parents are
unknown. Moses later married Mariam STEINER GOLDSTEIN.

If you continue up the RAPS line, ancestors include Berisch RAPS (born
circa 1804 - died 1874) and his wife Sara Perla (TEUTELBAUM)
TEITELBAUM RAPS (born 1809 - died 1865). Berisch was probably the son
of Leib RAPS and the grandson of Ber RAPS (born circa 1763 - died
1829). Sara Perla's parents were probably Chaskel TEITELBAUM and Ella
(Cirl) TIETELBAUM (born circa 1786 - died 1827).

Related families (not in my direct line, but married to siblings and
cousins of my direct line) include ABUSCH, BERGNER, FRANKEL, GOLD,
LUFT, SCHER, SEITELBACH, STEIN, and WAGNER.

If any of this rings a bell, please e-mail me at asparagirl -at- dca -
dot- net and let's compare notes. :-)

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon!

- Brooke Schreier Ganz
Los Angeles, California