studies of onomastic diversity

Sarah Benor

Nov 10, 2021, 8:14:25 PM11/10/21
to Jewish Names
Does anyone know of studies of diversity of Jewish personal/given names within a particular city or country? I'm especially interested in Jews of different backgrounds or orientations (e.g., Karaites and Rabbanites, local Jews vs. immigrant Jews) using different types of names. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you,
Sarah Bunin Benor
Professor of Contemporary Jewish Studies and Linguistics
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion

Ora Schwarzwald

Nov 11, 2021, 2:25:21 AM11/11/21
to sbeno...@gmail.com, Jewish Names

Dear Sarah,

You probably know of Aron Demsky's ואלה שמות (five volumes) with very rich collections of articles on names in many Jewish communities.

I am sending you my article in another book that he edited. I deal with Judeo-Spanish personal names; the volume includes more.

I hope this is helpful.

Ora

======================================

Prof. Ora R. Schwarzwald

Hebrew and Semitic Languages

Bar-Ilan University

Ramat Gan, Israel 52900

Tel: 972-3-5325021 (home), 5318226/667 (office)

Fax: 972-3-7384192 (department)

e-mail: ora.sch...@biu.ac.il, ora.sch...@gmail.com

http://sites.google.com/site/oraschwarzwald

pleasant name 2010 schwarzwald.PDF

Aaron Demsky

Nov 11, 2021, 3:29:29 AM11/11/21
to sbeno...@gmail.com, jewish...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sarah,

You will find a lot of material re Sephardic Jewry in my book Pleasant are their Names and many sources re personal names among Jewish Yemenites in Aharon Gaimani’s book.

See flyer for ordering at a discount price.

All the best

Aaron

Professor Aaron Demsky (retired)
History of Ancient Israel
Director, Project for the Study of Jewish Names
Department of Jewish History and Contemporary Jewry
Bar-Ilan University  Ramat-Gan, Israel 52900
Cell - (972)-50-650-7373
Email - aaron....@biu.ac.il

--

penn state flyers.pdf