Theophoric Names in Jewish Tradition

RC Klein

Mar 19, 2018, 9:46:02 AM3/19/18
to aaron demsky, jewish...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody know about any traditional Jewish sources which discuss the notion of theophoric names, especially those that discuss their religious significance?
The only sources I am aware so far are a comment from R. Saadia Gaon (followed by Sefer ha-Gan and R. Yosef Bekhor-Schor) who explains that the practice of incorporating God's name into personal names began in the generation of Enosh.
Does anybody know about more sources on this topic?

Chag Kosher V'Sameach

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Check out my book Lashon HaKodesh: History, Holiness, & Hebrew

Lashon HaKodesh: History, Holiness, & Hebrew (Mosaica Press) on Amazon Academia.eduGoogle Scholar LinkedINRabbi Reuven Chaim Klein on TorahDownloads.com