Fish names in Djerba

RCK

Jun 9, 2021, 1:38:29 AM6/9/21
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com, Jewish Names
I forgot to follow up with my colleagues on this email list. Basically, thanks to Victor Hayoun and Shalom Sabar I came up with the following examples:
Masculine names like Hayuta/Hauita ("fish" in some North African dialects of Arabic, although in Aramaic it means "snake"), Manani ("merou" or "grouper" fish, possibly also related to nun), Bugid ("striped red mullet"), Hadir ("torpedo fish"), Karutz ("bass"), Uzifa, Wurgana, and feminine names like Shelbia (“Salema porgy”), Svirsa, Murgana, Manana (feminized form of Manani), and Baharia (“mermaid”).
This information was included in my weekly column on synonyms in the Hebrew language last week: https://ohr.edu/this_week/whats_in_a_word/9390 if you are interested in subscribing to my weekly newsletter, please let me know and I'll your email address.

Zei Gezunt & Kol Tuv,

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Author of: God versus Gods: Judaism in the Age of Idolatry Lashon HaKodesh: History, Holiness, & Hebrew

ORCiD LinkedIN | Google Scholar | Amazon