Re: [Jewish Languages] Digest for jewish-languages@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Mary Connerty

Oct 21, 2020, 1:12:15 PM10/21/20
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com
Shalom, Mr. Weiser,

As HInei ma tov comes directly from Psalm 133, my research suggests that the Romaniote Jews of Greece would chant this in Hebew, not translated or transliterated into their spoken Judeo-Greek.  Unfortunately, I gave my copies of Yevanic Siddurim to colleagues and no longer have them to check for you.  However, if you contact the Kehila Kadosha Janina Synagogue and Museum in New York, they could tell you for sure.  Their contact info is:
Kehila Kadosha Janina Synagogue and Museum
280 Broome St, New York, NY 10002

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mary Connerty
Teaching Professor Emerita in Linguistics & English,
The Behrend College,
The Pennsylvania State University, Erie, PA USA

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 4:08 AM <jewish-l...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Kalman Weiser <kwe...@yorku.ca>: Oct 19 03:33PM -0700

Can some provide a translation of the following into Judeo-Greek -
preferably in Latin letters?
הִנֵּ֣ה מַה־טּ֖וֹב וּמַה־נָּעִ֑ים שֶׁ֖בֶת אַחִ֣ים גַּם־יָֽחַד
A friend has asked me for this for a choir singing the famous verse in
multiple languages. I figure it would be best to ask the experts before
turning to my mother. She grew up speaking Judeo-Greek at home but had no
formal Jewish education and is illiterate in any form of Greek.

thanks,
Kalman Weiser
"Avraham Ben-Rahamiël Qanaï" <aqa...@facsl.com>: Oct 19 07:16PM -0400

Idhoú póso kaló kai póso efcháristo eínai na zoun mazí ta adhélfia!