Deutsch = Taistch

RCK

Dec 15, 2021, 1:05:26 AM12/15/21
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com
My wife and I were wondering if there's any explanation as to why the initial D consonant in the word Deutsch ("German") shifted to a T sound in the word Taitsch ("Translate") in Yiddish, but didn't switch into a T sound in other related words (like when referring to German or German itself, the D is pronounced as a D not a T). Any takes on this?
Kol Tuv,

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Author of: God versus Gods Lashon HaKodesh

ORCiD LinkedIN | Google Scholar | Amazon

Alexandre Beider

Dec 15, 2021, 3:23:43 AM12/15/21
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com, RCK
The d- and t-forms do not have the same age in Yiddish. Those with t- are native and appear regularly since the Middle Ages. The sound survived in the root of the words taytsh 'meaning' and the verb with the sens 'to translate'  and the expression Ivre-taytshFor the meaning ‘German’, even if Uriel Weinreich (1968) gives in his dictionary only the form daytsh, Harkavy (1928) mentions both daytsh and taytsh. It is clear that the former represents an innovation, under the influence of certain German dialects and the standardized German. In early Ashkenazic sources, both eastern and western, the form with the initial daleth for the meaning 'German' is rather exceptional. If we consider surnames adopted in the Russian Empire at the beginning of the 19th century, we find numerous branches of the names Taych and -  in the Litvak area -  Tayts, plus some Daych too (so the form with /d-/ was already present). The surname surely comes from 'German', not from 'meaning'.

Andrey Rozenberg

Dec 23, 2021, 5:22:15 AM12/23/21
to albe...@yahoo.fr, jewish-l...@googlegroups.com, RCK
Sorry for the duplicate - I posted the below email under the wrong gmail account.

Dear Reuven and Sasha,

if I'm not mistaken, the d- form would be the historically expected one for 'deutsch' in High German and it is stated e.g. in Kluge's dictionary that the t-forms (starting from the MHG variant 'tiutsch' well into 19th century 'teutsch' among some NHG writers) are the result of the influence of the Upper German consonant neutralization: see https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/An_Etymological_Dictionary_of_the_German_Language/Annotated/deutsch.

Sasha, what about the German dialects that contributed to Eastern Yiddish? Bohemian German did have the neutralization. Silesian did not, yet still had a t-form for 'deutsch', right?
From your book, Weichreich, Sapir and other sources I compiled the following table of Yiddish words that either differ in their d/t realization from literary MHG or have NHG cognates that differ from MHG. (For the word-final d/t the underlining realization is shown which is evident only in declension in MHG, NHG and big part of Yiddish - the additional factor in those case is that they might have undergone later paradigmatic leveling). It might be interesting to add Silesian to the table (as far as the resources allow).

MHG

NHG

Eastern Yiddish

Translation

Comment

tūren

bedauern

badoyern

regret

bart-

Bart-

bord-

beard

bort-

Bord-

bort-

board (of ship)

bund-

Bund-

bunt-

alliance

tam

Damm

dambe

dam

Y < Rus < Dutch

tampf

Dampf

damf

steam

tihten

dichten

dikhtn

to compose

tolmetscher

Dolmetscher

dolmecher

translator

Y < NHG?

tāhele

Dohle

doyle

jackdaw

tuft

Duft

duft

scent

dulten

dulden

duldn

to tolerate

tump

dumm

dum

stupid

Y < NHG?

vrieund-

Freund-

fraynt-, fraynd-

friend

Y fraynd < NHG?

pfund-

Pfund-

funt-

pound

gelt-

Geld-

gelt-

money

gesund-

gesund-

gezunt-

health

hand-

Hand-

hant-

hand

hund-

Hund-

hunt-

dog

milt-

mild-

mild-

mild

multe

Mulde

multer

trough

abend-

Abend-

ovnt-

evening

schilt-

Schild-

shild-

shield

swert-

Schwert-

shverd-

sword

tiutsch, diutsch

deutsch, teutsch

taych, daych

~German

Y daych < NHG

teich

Deich/Teich

taykh

dike, river, pond

dōn

Ton

ton

sound

topel-

doppelt

topl

double

tūs, dūs

Daus

toyz

deuce, ace

tucken

ducken

tukn

to stoop

tunkel

dunkel

tunkl

dark

tutzen

Dutzend

tuts

dozen

under

unter

unter

under

wind-

Wind-

vint-

wind

(If anyone has additions to the table or notices mistakes, please let me know.)

Best,
Andrey