"Jewish Language on TV" event series - first event Sunday June 4

Hannah Pressman

Jun 2, 2023, 1:18:03 AM6/2/23
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to share about the HUC-JIR Jewish Language Project's summer event series, "Jewish Language on TV." Featuring scholars as well as actors and writers, these events will highlight the role of language on a crop of recent shows: "Chanshi," "Rough Diamonds," "History of the World Part II," and "Jewish Matchmaking." We're excited to examine how these shows mix Hebrew, Yiddish, English, and other languages to represent diverse Jewish communities.

The series will kick off this Sunday, June 4, with "Hebrew and Orthodox Jewish English in 'Chanshi,'" featuring linguists Sarah Bunin Benor and Sharon Avni in conversation with "Chanshi"'s creator, Aleeza Chanowitz, and her co-star Marnina Schon. The event is free to attend and will take place over Zoom at 10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern/8 pm Israel. Full details and registration are available on our Events page.
*Special note: those who register for this event will receive exclusive access to the first four episodes of "Chanshi"!

Please share the info about this event and the full series with anyone you think might be interested. I have included a social media-friendly flyer below.

Wishing everyone a lovely summer,
Hannah

TV Series 2023 Square Promo.jpg

--
Hannah S. Pressman, Ph.D.
Director of Education and Engagement, The Jewish Language Project