"Jewish Language on TV" events, Aug. 13 and Aug. 20

Hannah Pressman

Aug 7, 2023, 11:20:17 PM8/7/23
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to share about the HUC-JIR Jewish Language Project's final two events in our summer series, "Jewish Language on TV."

1) Language in "History of the World Part II" on Sunday, August 13
3-4:30pm PT / 6-7:30pm ET  (Australia time: Monday, Aug. 14, 8-9:30 am)

Building on the widespread popularity of Mel Brooks’ 1981 “History of the World Part I,” Hulu’s “History of the World Part II” brings a comedic lens to world events. From Noah’s Ark to Freud, from Kublai Khan to Jews in Space, Jewish moments abound. How does the series incorporate Yiddish and other languages? How does this language mixing fit into the history of American comedy? Moderated by Dr. Sarah Bunin Benor, the panel will include:
Jennifer Caplan, author of Funny, You Don’t Look Funny: Judaism and Humor from the Silent Generation to Millennials
Jeremy Dauber, author of Mel Brooks: Disobedient Jew and Jewish Comedy: A Serious History
Rebecca Margolis, author of ייִדיש לעבט Yiddish Lives On: Journeys of Language Revitalization

2) Language in "Jewish Matchmaking" and "Soon By You" on Sunday, August 20
10-11:30am PT / 1-2:30pm ET / 8-9:30pm Israel

The web series "Soon By You" portrays an Ashkenazi Modern Orthodox community in New York, and the Netflix series "Jewish Matchmaking" represents much of the diversity of contemporary (mostly American) Jewry, including in ancestral background, region, and religiosity. Language plays an important role in both portrayals: Israelis and Israeli-Americans mix English and Modern Hebrew, and Jews of all backgrounds pepper their English with Hebrew and Yiddish words, such as mensch, mezuzah, Shabbat, daven, and middos. This event explores the decisions the creators of these two shows make surrounding language. What role does language play in dating and matchmaking? How do the shows make Jewish language accessible to a broad English-speaking audience?
Moderator: Esther Kustanowitz, co-host of The Bagel Report Podcast
Panelists:
Sarah Bunin Benor, linguist
Aleeza Ben Shalom, as seen on Netflix’s "Jewish Matchmaking"
Leah Gottfried, creator and actor, "Soon By You"

Both events are free and take place over Zoom. Full details and registration are available on our Events page.

Please share the info with anyone you think might be interested! I have included social media-friendly flyers below.

Warm regards,
Hannah

--
Hannah S. Pressman, Ph.D.
Director of Education and Engagement, The Jewish Language Project