A new book: “Jewish Languages: Text specimens, grammatical, lexical, and cultural sketches"

Ofra Tirosh-Becker

Jan 11, 2022, 9:14:31 AM1/11/22
to jewish-l...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,
We are pleased to share that our volume “Jewish Languages: Text specimens, grammatical, lexical, and cultural sketches” has been published.

This volume on Jewish language varieties holds 18 chapters and 777 pages. Each chapter provides a cultural introduction of a specific Jewish language variety and a detailed grammatical (and lexical) sketch followed by extensive text specimens (with both interlinear and idiomatic translation) and glosses. The book discusses a broad range of language varieties: Semitic (Neo-Aramaic and Arabic), Germanic (Yiddish and English), Romance (Judezmo/Ladino, Haketia, Italian, French, and Provençal), Greek, Iranian (early Persian and Juhuri/Judeo-Tat), and Turkic (Crimean-Turkic, Krymchak, Karaim, and other varieties).

We hope this volume, published by Harrassowitz as part of their Porta Linguarum Orientalium series, will function as a scholarly reference tool and as a pedagogical textbook for courses covering one or several Jewish language varieties, as well as courses in general linguistics and in languages in contact.

Sincerely yours,

Lutz Edzard and Ofra Tirosh-becker
Co-editors