shmira readings

Ilene Rubenstein

Mar 6, 2018, 11:29:22 PM3/6/18
to Kavod Listserve
I know that traditionally psalms are read during shmira.
Does anybody have any suggestions for alternative readings that would also be suitable?

Nancy Dotti

Mar 7, 2018, 1:24:31 PM3/7/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilene,

The Kehila Chevra Kadisha in Piedmont California has made two wonderful books. One of alternative readings and the other of psalms with great attention paid to the translations. I would recommend contacting Cathy a:

ketz...@sbcglobal.net

Hope this helps,

Nancy

Sonoma County Chevra Kadisha

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 7:54 PM, 'Ilene Rubenstein' via jewish-funerals <jewish-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I know that traditionally psalms are read during shmira.
Does anybody have any suggestions for alternative readings that would also be suitable?

Joel Ackelsberg

Mar 8, 2018, 11:56:08 AM3/8/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Ilene,
The shmira unit of our CK recently pulled together readings that will be bound into a shmira book. I'm copying the Table of Contents below. Please note that some of the texts are by poets who are community members, which we found to be a meaningful touch.

Joel Ackelsberg
Bnai Keshet (Montclair, NJ)

Readings for Shmira
Introduction: Guidelines for participants
Prayer for the Shomerim
Blessing: Mah Tovu
Chants

I.              Selections from Kol Haneshamah, the Daily Prayerbook  (Copy provided)
II.         Shmira readings from Prayers for a House of Mourning  (Copy provided)
III.        Poems
Psalms 23, 27, 49, Robert Alter, trans.
            Fields of Sunflowers, Yehuda Amichai
In a Time Beyond Time, World to Come, Rabbi Rachel Barenblatt
Blessing the Boats, Lucille Clifton
Absence, Miriam’s Song, The Last Chapter, Jessica de Koninck
Life After Death, Laura Gilpin
Lives of My Grandfather, Waving Back, When My Father Couldn’t Catch      the Ball, Martin Golan
The Long Boat, Stanley Kunitz
Poem, Rabbi Janet Madden
Epitaph, Merrit Malloy
Prayers, Kadya Molodowsky
Grief; Nocturnal Life, Yvette Neisser Moreno
Snowflakes, my mother called them; Kaddish, Marge Piercy
            Te Deum, Charles Reznikoff
The Place Will Comfort You, Susan Windle

IV.  Prose selections
Selections, Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Sitting Shmira; Shmira, Rabbi Rachel Barenblatt (Velveteen Rabbi)
Messages of Kaddish, Anita Diamant
My Father’s New York, Martin Golan
Restoring the World (My Grandfather’s Blessings), Rachel Naomi Remen
Sabbath, Oliver Sacks

Personal Thoughts and Reflections
Please add your personal thoughts and memories