Re: [jewish-funerals] Digest for jewish-funerals@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

1 view

Susan Schwirck

May 7, 2018, 8:33:37 PM5/7/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com

Ilene's points are well taken, but I think the actions she suggests are not part of the chevra's responsibilities, but rather that of the clergy.

The chevra must concentrate on the maita, focus on their obligation to her. When a call comes in for a tahara to our group, there's barely  time to assemble the team. We lack sufficient time to explain to a mourner the whys and wherefores of a policy in a way that will be comforting. Our policy (immediate family and/or non-members do not participate in tahara) is in place so the chevra can avoid making decisions on the fly and can focus on their duties.

In the case under discussion, I think the clergy could have explained to the mourner the policy, it's reasons and suggested alternative activities that would be of comfort, rather than coming down on the chevra and putting pressure on it to change. The rabbi's job is to counsel, advise, explain. The rabbis know their congregants and can customize their pastoring. The chevra's job is to tend to the maita.  Often they don't know the family and being charged to remain anonymous if they do know the family, makes it difficult for them to pastor to the mourners.

I have found this discussion very interesting and informative. What a good group!