Jewish outreach pages?

AFriedman

Sep 2, 2009, 1:31:41 PM9/2/09
to Jewish Education
Hi,

I know how much of a problem Jewish assimilation is, and have been
thinking for a while about creating a Jewish outreach Website. What I
had in mind was a non-denominational Website for Jews and non-Jews,
intended to present the many reasons Judaism is unique and special and
to celebrate the diversity within Jewish tradition. Myself, I'm
especially interested in historical movements that many people would
think of as heresies or splinter groups. Many people who have
stereotypes about Jews don't realize how multifaceted the picture is,
and many people who have an issue with "traditional" Judaism don't
realize that if they learned more, they would realize that some
significant Jewish movement was probably on their side and would have
made a reasonable case for their point of view.

Additional goals would be to describe the how and why behind Jewish
practices, and to help people connect with individuals and find
resources from Chabad to ALEPH to Karaite Jewish University.

I was thinking that an educational wiki such as WikiEducator might be
a good place to start a learning resource like this. The Web space is
free, and contributions by more than one person would be easy. As far
as I know, there isn't a resource like this which (1) discusses
historical as well as modern movements and (2) is not solely intended
for Jews.

What are your thoughts?

AFriedman

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Sep 2, 2009, 1:34:56 PM9/2/09
to jewish-e...@googlegroups.com
Anne,
I would be interested in creating a workshop for this similar to the ones we currently have: http://wikieducator.org/Workshops
Would you be interested?
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Sharing is Caring!
http://www.nelliemuller.com
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
Get ready for CO10: http://connecting-online.ning.com/
Free online workshops on WikiEducator: http://www.wikieducator.org/Workshops

AFriedman

Sep 3, 2009, 1:26:29 AM9/3/09
to Jewish Education
Count me in, although I'm not sure how much time I'll have after the
next few days. Also, what are your thoughts about the curriculum and
format of the workshop? I'm not sure how to present, in such a short
time, a subject that some people can't even finish over the course of
their lifetimes. Since there are so many ways to be Jewish, I was
thinking that people could be given at least some resources to
discover for themselves. As a format, that's a bit more self-directed
than I believe most workshops are. By the way, how many other
workshops are as completely developed as Learning4Content and what are
some of those?

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Sep 3, 2009, 8:13:12 AM9/3/09
Take a look the Moodle workshop for some ideas on ideas for the workshop: http://wikieducator.org/Moodle/Workshop/Home

Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Sharing is Caring!
http://www.nelliemuller.com
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
Get ready for CO10: http://connecting-online.ning.com/
Free online workshops on WikiEducator: http://www.wikieducator.org/Workshops

AFriedman

Sep 3, 2009, 9:30:20 AM9/3/09
to Jewish Education
Thanks. The Moodle workshop is far from complete, but seems like a
longer workshop than the one I took and would probably work given
enough activity on that part of the site. In principle, a short
workshop could really give people a good taste of the subject and make
them hungry for more, even if the subject is much larger. What were
you thinking of naming the workshop? I'm thinking "Judaism for the
Curious," but do you have a better idea? This past Spring I was
taking a very good in-person course for Jews, which was also short and
very good at accommodating the fact that different people taking the
course knew different amounts.